Herb and Spice New Potatoes

I guess by now you guys know that I absolutely love potatoes. I have numerous potato recipes already and I keep on sharing more. When I was in Ngara market over the weekend, I saw some new potatoes that I absolutely had to buy.

herb and spice new potatoes

Immediately after buying them, I knew how I was going to prepare them. This recipe also works with any other kind of potato.

While at the market,the grocers had some fresh looking herbs and I couldn’t pass them by. I particularly wanted the flat leaf (Italian) parsley. I also managed to get some dhania.

herb and spice new potatoes

The new potatoes are normally eaten with the skin on, ensure you wash and scrub them to remove all the dirt.

In a sufuria, add the potatoes,cover them with water, salt and let the water come to a gentle boil.

herb and spice potatoes

As the new potatoes are cooking, you can chop up the parsley and dhania.

herb and spice new potatoes

Once the water starts boiling the potatoes should be ready. The idea is for the potatoes to be fork tender. Pierce with a fork to ensure they are done.

Drain the potatoes and set aside. I halved a handful just to add depth but it’s totally unnecessary.

In a wok or big pan, heat some vegetable oil. Ideally butter works beautifully, however I was out.

Once heated, add the potatoes.

herb and spice new potatoes

Sprinkle over some ground black pepper, freshly ground of course and toss the potatoes.

herb and spice new potatoes

Now for the herb and spice part.

Throw in the parsley and dhania mixture.

herb and spice new potatoes10

If you also enjoy potatoes, there is one spice that you should never lack, paprika. Potatoes and paprika are soulmates, two peas in a pod, BFFs, you get the idea.

Anyway, add the paprika.

herb and spice new potatoes11

Toss to combine everything.

herb and spice new potatoes13

Keep tossing the potatoes to ensure they get evenly coated with the herb and spice and also for them to brown a bit.

Serve immediately as a side dish or with a salad.

herb and spice new potatoes14

I had greatly debated on sharing this recipe since I didn’t like the new potatoes particularly because of the skin. The flavours from the herbs and paprika did help to mask the potato skin taste.

However, I have tried this recipe before with ordinary peeled potatoes and it was amazing. So no need to let a good recipe go down the drain.

So what’s your take on new potatoes? Hit or Miss?

herb and spice new potatoes17

Herb and Spice New Potatoes

• New potatoes,washed and scrubbed clean
  • Water, as required
  • A handful of flat leaf parsley,chopped
  • A handful of dhania, chopped
  • 1 1/2 tbsp paprika
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil

In a sufuria, add the new potatoes, cover them with water and season with salt.

Let the water come to a gentle boil.

Pierce the potatoes with a fork to test for doneness.

Drain the potatoes and set aside.

In a wok or large pan,heat the oil.

Add the new potatoes, freshly ground black pepper, chopped parsley and dhania, paprika and toss to combine.

Keep tossing to ensure even coating.

Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.

Once coated and lightly browned,remove from heat.

Serve and enjoy!

NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues.

This is my take on an elevated hot dog.

Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya

Then some arugula.

The mustard is totally optional.

What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues. This is my take on an elevated hot dog. Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya I also cooked some onions, they weren't fully caramelised as I didn't want to spend so much time in the kitchen. For avocado, I smashed it with the back of a spoon. I didn't add any salt as the cheese krainer is sufficient. Then some arugula. The mustard is totally optional. Since the krainer is cheesy, when you bit into it you get some cheesy goodness which is such a pleasant surprise. What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?