Pilau: Beginners Luck??

I love cooking and venturing into the deep when trying out recipes but there are a few recipes that I even tremble at the thought of trying them. Some of you may wonder how one can get scared of cooking pilau, but trust me, it was a real fear. Fear, mainly because I don’t want to fail. Perfectionist much?

Anyway, thanks to my dear friend Nixx and the many bridal showers I have attended, I can say I felt confident enough to make pilau this past Sunday. You may question the relation between pilau and bridal showers. Well, in the past two bridal showers we’ve held for our friends we decided to cook food instead of the usual bitings and on these occasions I got chance to see how to prepare pilau.

Enough with my stories and onto the recipe.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of rice

3 cups of hot water

1/4 kg of meat – boneless is preferred

1 medium sized white onion chopped

An inch of ginger root finely chopped/grated

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp tomato paste

2 tbsp vegetable oil

Pilau Masala;

1 tbsp cumin seeds

1 tbsp cinnamon sticks

1 tbsp cloves

About 7 cardamon pods

1 tsp black pepper powder

pilau masala...

I didn’t have the store bought, already mixed pilau masala but since I had whole spices in my spice rack, I decided to make my own masala.

Side Note: Masala – a combination of various spices.

There are various ways of making the masala mixture but I chose the easiest. I’ll take time and write a detailed post on spices and making masala. I put all the spices in my little grinder. For the cardamon I removed the seeds from the pods first. Grind till you get an almost fine powder then add the black pepper and set aside.

white onions and ginger
white onions and ginger

Heat the vegetable oil in a sufuria. Add the onions and the ginger.

Let the onions brown, this will aid in giving the rich colour in pilau.

Once browned, add the tomato paste and salt.

tomato paste
tomato paste

Add the meat and mix.

DSC07570

Cover and let the meat cook. Keep stirring to prevent it from sticking onto the pan. (I should invest in non-stick sufurias)

Once the meat is cooked add the rice and the masala.

Mt. Ricemore
Mt. Ricemore

Mix it all up.

the mixture
the mixture

Add in the hot water and slightly cover the sufuria.

Let the rice simmer till almost all the water evarporates. Turn off the heat and cover the sufuria for about five minutes then serve.

Done
Done

Serve with chilled kachumbari.

Dinner
Dinner

I was extremely proud of myself. Thank you Nixx.

It’s safe to say, I will be making pilau more often.

PS: Garlic is also used but I had ran out of garlic. You can add 3 grated cloves into the onions.

1. Pingback: Vegetable Pilau | Leo Tunapika?