Groundnut Sauce

I absolutely love trying out new recipes and one can only guess how excited I was to actually learn how to make groundnut sauce from the very people who have perfected making it, Ugandans. It’s like learning how to make pizza from an Italian from Naples.

My help is from Uganda and I got her to teach me how to make groundnut sauce.

Turns out making the sauce is pretty easy well not taking into account the grinding of the roasted groundnuts. In their rural home they use a grinding stone to grind the roasted groundnuts to an almost peanut butter like consistency.

Start by roasting your groundnuts or you can buy some that are already roasted and then peel them.

gnut sauce1

Seeing that I don’t have a grinding stone, I turned to my handy food processor.

The idea is to grind the groundnuts to a buttery consistency.

gnut sauce2

Grind in batches to ensure the work gets done faster.

gnut sauce3

Grind to the point even oil is being extracted.

gnut sauce4

Finally, after like 15 minutes of pulsing we have our butter.

gnut sauce5

Dilute the peanut butter with hot water, emphasis on hot.

gnut sauce6

gnut sauce7Now to cook the sauce.

Over very low heat let the sauce come to a gentle boil.

gnut sauce8

As the sauce is coming to a boil, finely chop the onions and tomatoes.

gnut sauce9

Once the sauce has boiled add in the onions and tomatoes .

gnut sauce10

gnut sauce11Stir and let the sauce simmer uncovered for about thirty minutes.

The sauce will thicken and you can choose to dilute it by adding more water.gnut sauce13

Taste for seasoning and salt accordingly.

Voila, groundnut sauce.

gnut sauce15

Perfect to serve with matoke just like they do in Uganda. The sauce can also be served with fried fish, chicken or some dried meat.

The sauce was quite a lot and I even shared half with my neighbour.

gnut sauce17

Optional:For those who may not have the time to grind the groundnuts, you can get peanut butter from your local supermarket and work from there.

Next recipe will  be on how I used the sauce to make chicken.

Groundnut Sauce

• 1/2 kg groundnuts, roasted and peeled
  • 3 cups hot water
  • 1 medium onion finely chopped
  • 1 tomato diced
  • Salt to taste

Using a food processor/ grinding stone/ mortar and pestle grind the groundnuts to almost peanut butter like consistency.

Once ground, mix the butter with the hot water and stir to dissolve.

In a saucepan and over very low heat bring the groundnut sauce to a boil.

Once boiled add the onion and tomato and stir.

Let the sauce simmer uncovered over low heat for 30 minutes.

Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.

As for the consistency of the sauce you can add more hot water to thin it out.

1. Pingback: Chicken in Groundnut Sauce | Leo Tunapika?