Chicken Quesadillas

Don’t let the foreign name fool you, these babies are totally easy to make. The best thing is that you can stuff the tortillas with just about anything. Quesadillas are a mexican delight where a tortilla is filled with mostly cheese and other ingredients then folded in half and served. Before I go further, I need to decipher the foreign terms, tortillas, are closely related to what we know as chapatis. Actually they are one and the same if you ask me. One thing though, when cooking the tortilla, cook lightly on each side for a minute just to get it lightly browned.

Ingredients:

3 flour tortillas

1 medium red onion sliced

5 slices of cheddar cheese cut into strips – if you have a block of cheese, grate it instead

dried oregano leaves

Half of an avocado, optional

For the chicken

Boneless chicken breasts

1 red onion roughly chopped

3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped

1 inch thick of ginger, roughly chopped

1 sprig of rosemary, optional

750 ml of water

salt to taste

I started by poaching the chicken breasts. In a saucepan, pour in the water then throw in the onions,garlic, ginger, rosemary and the chicken. No need to cut the chicken first.

poaching
poaching

Cover and bring it to a simmer.

As the chicken is cooking, I made the tortillas.

tortillas
tortillas

After about 20 minutes of boiling the chicken will be done. Remove from the stock and shred it into bit size pieces. Store the stock to use it in stews or steaming rice.

hubby shredding the chicken
hubby shredding the chicken

From here, get ready to assemble the quesadilla.

Take one tortilla, line one half of the tortilla with the cheese strips.

cheese
cheese
cheddar cheese
cheddar cheese

Then add the sliced onions, coriander and the chicken shreds. Sprinkle some oregano.

DSC09121

Then add another layer of cheese.

Gently place the tortilla with the stuffing on a hot skillet. Fold it in half, press hard. Cook both sides for about a minute or so or until the cheese melts.

DSC09122

Repeat the above steps for the rest of the tortillas. I added some avocado slices in one of the quesadillas.

Once all done, cut them into wedges and serve with some guacamole or kachumbari.

DSC09127

Dinner is served :-)
Dinner is served 🙂

To say this meal was amazing would be an understatement. I shocked myself. Simple yet delicious. I dare you to try this out. I’ll definitely make more of these babies and even try different ingredients, I’ll also try and so a post on how to make tortillas.

Hubby loved them, he downed four of them 🙂

1. Pingback: Spring Onions and Bell Peppers Chicken Quesadillas | Leo Tunapika?