Xi’an Chinese Restaurant

As much as I love cooking and trying out new recipes, I equally enjoy eating out. Eating out has its benefits like not having to ask “Leo Tunapika?” , or clean up after all the cooking. Other benefits are, I get to sample different foods and get inspirations on which recipes to try out next. Admittedly, hubby and I hardly go out to eat mainly because we are busy munching on snicker bars at the movie theatres. We are such movie buffs, I digress.

Some few weeks back my pal sends me a link about a dinner/lunch deal on rupu. After a few emails back and forth we decide on buying the deal and boy aren’t we glad we did. We set a date for lunch on a bright Sunday afternoon. The restaurant, Xi’an Chinese, is located on Muthangari Road off Gitanga road. The great thing is that it’s also accessible via public transport, just take a number 46 bus at Kencom and alight at the junction of Muthangari and Gitanga. Then walk down the road about 180 metres and you’ll spot this sign.
2013-05-26 15.53.48

The restaurant has both an indoor and an outdoor sitting area. The outdoor area is perfect for lunches as one enjoys the afternoon sun and the reflection of the sky upon the clear water of the swimming pool.

the outdoor
the outdoor
the pool area
the pool area

The lunch was to consitute a platter with chicken satay, chicken lollipops and golden fried prawns with an accompaniment of either fried rice or noddles. We also found out that we were to get a pitcher of sangria alongside the meal. Since we are all teetotalers we settled for a glass of fresh juice which the waiter, Wycliffe, later told us was on the house :-). Before I let the photos do all the talking, I have to say this is a place I’ll definitely visit again. The food was exquisitely done, the seasoning perfect, the reception was very warm and the ambiance is great. Since we were four, we ordered an another plate of cashew nut rice.

the cute menus
noddles
my plate :-)
my plate 🙂

2013-05-26 14.23.01

damages
damages

After clearing the table, Wycliffe then offers us ice cream… on the house again. How kind can these guys get? Oh well, we obliged, who doesn’t love ice cream?

2013-05-26 15.01.17

Overall it was an afternoon well spent, great food and greater company. Special thanks to Wycliffe for making our experience more enjoyable.

So, this Madaraka day why not give the sufurias a rest. Go try some Chinese at Xi’an, you will not be disappointed.

NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues.

This is my take on an elevated hot dog.

Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya

Then some arugula.

The mustard is totally optional.

What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues. This is my take on an elevated hot dog. Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya I also cooked some onions, they weren't fully caramelised as I didn't want to spend so much time in the kitchen. For avocado, I smashed it with the back of a spoon. I didn't add any salt as the cheese krainer is sufficient. Then some arugula. The mustard is totally optional. Since the krainer is cheesy, when you bit into it you get some cheesy goodness which is such a pleasant surprise. What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?