Happy Birthday Kenya and Brunch

This post has been in my drafts for ages. Apologies for the delay.

Wednesday, 12th December was a public holiday here in Kenya, don’t we always look forward to holidays? Wa!! For me holiday translates to sleeping in. If you know me, you will definitely agree to fact that I love sleeping or rather I’m not a fan of waking up very early. The funny thing is, it’s not like I sleep in till very late, my version of sleeping in is waking up at 8 am. Yeah!!!

Since, I never get to wake up early enough during work days our breakfast is normally not so elaborate, even the times I’ve served pancakes , I usually make them the night before. So as to revenge our lack of proper breakfast, I decided to make a breakfast for champions during Kenya’s 49th birthday. Considering, there was quite an amount of housework to be done it ended up being brunch.

the main ingredients
the main ingredients

For brunch, I served;

Bacon, Brawn and Tomato Cheese Sandwich

Sausages

Parsley home fries

Bacon, Brawn and Tomato Cheese Sandwich;

Ingredients:

8 slices of brown barrel bread

2 slices of brawn, cut in quarters

2 rashers of bacon

1 white onion sliced

1 tomato sliced

Apricot jam – or whatever kind of jam you have on hand or even honey

Mozzarella cheese pieces

Butter

I started by frying the bacon. Since bacon is already fatty, I try not to use any oil in frying it.

bacon
bacon

Next toasting the bread. I applied butter on one side of the bread then into the pan they go.

toasting
toasting

All done.

toasted bread slices and mozzarella cheese pieces
toasted bread slices and mozzarella cheese pieces

Fry the onions. I added just a tablespoon of oil into the pan.

Side Note: I don’t like accumulating dishes, you’ll notice that I’m using the same pan.

excuse the steam
excuse the steam

I fried till translucent then I set them aside.

the onions and bacon on the side
the onions and bacon on the side

Now to assemble the sandwich.

I applied some apricot jam on 4 slices of the toasted bread.

DSC07184

On the other four slices, I put the mozzarella cheese pieces then I popped them in the microwave for one minute to get the cheese melting.

cheesy
cheesy

On the cheesy side, I added the brawn.

pile on the brawn quarters
pile on the brawn quarters

Add the tomato slices.

DSC07187

Finally on the other slices with the jam, pile on the onions and the bacon.

DSC07191

Sausages;

Simply fry the sausages.

Parsley home fries;

Ingredients:

2 tbsp dried parsley

1 tbsp vegetable oil

Salt to taste

Home fries/ Roast potatoes

Before you start thinking I was cooking up potatoes in the morning, let me mention that they were leftover roast potatoes. The previous night we had had dinner at Green View Restaurant and boy don’t they serve a lot of food. We had some packed for us, since we were beyond full. As I was making this brunch I decided to spice up the potatoes.

In the same pan, heat some oil. Add the potatoes, parsley and salt. Keep turning to ensure they don’t burn. Cook until hot and crispy.

potatoes
potatoes

Brunch is served.

Brunch
Brunch

If you look really closely you can see a framed photo of hubby and I.

DSC07198

This was quite a meal. Delicious and filling.

I’m already looking forward to the next holiday, March 4th.