Potato Bhajias

I have received several requests on my Facebook page to post a recipe on how to make bhajias. I have to say I’m no expert in this area but I think I can share a tip or two.

Ingredients:

Potatoes, peeled, washed and sliced thinly

1 cup gram flour

3/4 cup water

2 tbsp dried parsley leaves

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp salt

1 tsp coriander powder

1/2 tsp black pepper

Oil for frying

I started by making the potatoes. I used a food processor for the slicing. It was very fast and the slices were perfectly thin.

potato slices
potato slices

Then make the paste that will coat the potato slices.

the gram flour
the gram flour

In a bowl, pour in the gram flour. DSC06291The spice mix.

spices
spices

Mix the spices with the flour and water.

the paste
the paste

Take about a handful of the potato slices and dip then in the paste. Ensure they are coat completely. DSC06301 In a deep pan, heat the vegetable oil. Sadly I don’t have a deep pan so I just used the one I had. Ensure that the oil is hot before you start frying the bhajias. Once hot, you can gently put in the coated potatoes.

bhajias
bhajias

Cook on both sides till browned then remove with a slotted spoon. Drain the bhajias on a paper towel covered plate.

I made some kachumbari to serve with the bhajias.

kachumbari
kachumbari

Dinner is served. DSC06315

Verdict:

If I could do it all over again:

Add about a teaspoon of baking powder to the paste and also add chopped dhania/coriander/cilantro.

NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues.

This is my take on an elevated hot dog.

Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya

Then some arugula.

The mustard is totally optional.

What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues. This is my take on an elevated hot dog. Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya I also cooked some onions, they weren't fully caramelised as I didn't want to spend so much time in the kitchen. For avocado, I smashed it with the back of a spoon. I didn't add any salt as the cheese krainer is sufficient. Then some arugula. The mustard is totally optional. Since the krainer is cheesy, when you bit into it you get some cheesy goodness which is such a pleasant surprise. What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?

1. Pingback: Gram Flour Fish Fingers | Leo Tunapika?

2. Pingback: Tamarind Dip | Leo Tunapika?

3. Pingback: Help Take Down This Facebook Page Swindling Kenyans | The Greatrnk!