Did someone say Chinese?

I’ve never been to a Chinese restaurant (hubby, hint ,hint) but I know they are big on rice, Egg fried rice to be specific. this is something I like preparing when I have leftover rice. It’s normally a pleasant way to eat it other than just warming it up.

Let me first warn you that this recipe is my own creation meaning it could well not be Chinese rice :-). According to me what makes it Chinese is the soy sauce and eggs, which I think  are a staple in the Chinese rice.

What you’ll need:

2 cups of steamed rice (preferably cold)

3 sausages

2 eggs

1/2 white onion chopped

5 cloves of garlic chopped

1 teaspoon of ginger chopped

3 small carrots diced

1 hoho (bell pepper) cut into strips

1 eggplant (aubergine) cubed

Salt

Black pepper

Dried herbs

3 drops of soy sauce

Oil for frying

rice,soy sauce,carrots, eggplant,hoho,onions,ginger and garlic

This dish is best prepared with a wok and in the case you don’t have one like me, you can use a pan.

First the sausages, I removed them from their casing then I broke down the sausage meat.

Heat some oil in the pan, then add in the sausages.

The sausage meat

Let them cook for about 5 minutes then set aside.

In the same pan using the add some little oil.

Scramble the two eggs.

Scrambled eggs

Then set aside.

Now for the complete dish.

In the same part toss in your onions,garlic and ginger. Remember to season with salt and black pepper.

Onions frying

Let the onions cook till golden then add in the veggies (carrots,hoho and eggplant).

Colour!!

Keep stirring the mixtures to avoid them sticking onto the pan. Once they are tender but carrots still crunchy add in the sausages and scrambled eggs.

add the sausages and eggs

Stir the mixture, then add the rice . Drizzle with soy sauce and add the dried herbs, I used sage (still out of parsley) O-o.

In goes the rice

Since the rice is already cooked you just want it to get hot.

Dinner is served. Bon Appetit!

In the event you are allergic or don’t like eggs you  can eliminate them from the recipe. You can easily make it vegetarian by eliminating both the eggs and sausages.

What do you do with your leftover food?

Verdict:

The veggies added the crunch in the rice and the alternating tastes of sausages and eggs was very pleasing.

If I could do it over again:

Probably add more seasoning, especially the black pepper

1. Pingback: Peas and Sausage Fried Rice « Leo Tunapika?