Fish Fingers

Sometime back during my monthly grocery shopping as I visited my vendor in search of some chicken legs, I noticed they had some fish fillet. Unfortunately they were out of chicken legs so I decided to try the fish instead. The fillets were quite large so I just got two.

One of the fillets I cut up into big chunks coated them with  some dried herbs and pan fried  them. The other one  I prepared a week later in form of fish fingers.

Ingredients:

1 large fish fillet

1/2 cup flour

4 slices of bread/ 1 cup bread crumbs

2 eggs

A handful of dhania chopped

Some lemon zest

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp black pepper

Dried herbs, sage, rosemary and oregano

3 tablespoons of water

Oil for frying

Same trick as with the beef stir fry, thaw the fillet then cut it lengthwise into strips.

don’t make them too thin

Now to coat the fish fingers, I prepared 3 dipping bowls.

First coat them with flour. Make sure to season the flour with some bit of salt, black pepper and the dried herbs.

1. Coating with the flour

Next dip them into the egg wash.

Making an egg wash is pretty easy beat eggs with some little water. Once more remember to season the egg wash as you did the flour. This is to ensure that there’s seasoning all through. Use a fork to avoid getting your hands too messed up.

2. Egg wash

Now onto the final coat. At this point I put the oil in a pan so as it can start getting hot.

You can get ready to use breadcrumbs from your local supermarket or if you are DIY kind of person you can just do what I did.

I toasted 4 slices of bread with a sandwich maker, yep a sandwich maker, I really need to invest in a toaster.

Voila, crusty

Then using my blender’s mill, I crushed the chunks of toasted bread and voila breadcrumbs pap. In a bowl/plate mix the chopped dhania and the breadcrumbs, again remember to add the dried herbs, salt and black pepper. At this point also add in the lemon zest.

3. The breadcrumbs mixture

Then fry your fingers (no pun intended :-))

I later filled the pan with the fish fingers

Fry both sides till they are golden in colour. Drain over a plate covered with some paper towel.

I served this with plain steamed rice and a vegetable sauce.

steamed rice and vegetable sauce

Verdict:

Hubby loved them. Seasoning was on point. Yippee

If I could do it over again:

I’d let them cook longer, they still had that fishy taste that I don’t really like.

I re-fried the the leftover the following night and they were much better and crunchier :-), so cook them a bit longer till they are really golden brown.

1. Pingback: Meat balls part 1 « Leo Tunapika?

2. Pingback: Fish Fingers – Take 2 « Leo Tunapika?

3. Pingback: Yoghurt Dip | Leo Tunapika?