cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapika

Cheesy Potato Skins

One of my favourite things paired together, bacon and potatoes. This month’s Onja challenge was the word ‘Texture’. After much thought, I settled on some potato skins filled with cheese and bacon. These are perfect to serve as a starter or part of brunch spread.

cheesy-potato-skinsThe idea was to ensure the different textures play out,from the crispiness of the bacon and potato skins to the stringy texture of the cheddar. Ideally I would have used cheddar, however a certain Mr. Leo tunapika? misread my text and opted for mozzarella cheese which still worked beautifully.

Start with potatoes, scrub them clean then pat them dry. Using a fork, pierce the potatoes then rub with some oil.

Place in a lightly greased oven proof dish or a foil lined baking tray.

cheesy-potato-skins

As the potatoes bake, work on the bacon.

For the bacon, just dice it up and in a pan let it cook. Since I was using a non stick pan there was no need for oil plus bacon renders quite some fat.

cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapika cheesy-potato-skinsOnce the bacon is fragrant and crispy, set it aside and with the rendered fat, fry up the onions.

cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapika-2 cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapika-3 cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapikaOnce the onions are translucent, remove from the heat and set aside.

I also decided to add some green onions, however I chose to use them raw. I mixed the cooked onions with the chopped green onions.

cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapika

Then combine the onions with the bacon.

cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapika

Once the potatoes are done,let them cool for a while before halving them.

cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapikaOnce halved, using a spoon, scoop out most of the flesh of the potatoes, ensure not to scrape too deep to pierce the skin.

cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapikaTo make the potato skins extra crispy, place them skin side up on the baking dish lightly grease with some oil and season with salt and black pepper then pop them back in the oven.

cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapikaOnce crispy, the exciting part, filling them up.

cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapika-13 cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapika

Final trip back in the oven, this time to melt the cheese.

cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapika-15 cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapikaServe and enjoy.

cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapika

cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapika-23 cheesy-potato-skins-leotunapikaCrispy and full of flavour, perfect start to a lovely meal.

Cheesy Potato Skins

• 4 large potatoes, scrubbed clean and patted dry
  • 200g bacon, diced
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated

Pre heat the oven at 400 degrees F (approx. 210 degrees Celsius)

Using a fork, pierce holes on the potatoes and rub with some oil.

Bake the potatoes for 40 - 50 minutes.

As the potatoes are baking, start on the bacon.

In a non stick pan, cook the bacon until crispy.

Once crispy, remove and set aside.

With the rendered fat, fry the onions until translucent.

Once cooked, remove and mix with the bacon and green onions.

After the potatoes are done, remove from the oven and let them cool for about 10 minutes.

Once cooled, half the potatoes, and using a spoon scoop out most of the flesh taking care not to pierce the skin.

Place the potato skins,skin side upon the baking dish then lightly grease with oil and season with salt and pepper.