Red Velvet Pancakes

Happy Pancake Day!

Serendipity is posting a pancake recipe on pancake day! Excitement. Anyway, Valentines is around the corner and I figured this year I might as well share love themed breakfast recipes to cook for your loved ones.

red velvet header

To make it even more exciting, you can cut out the pancakes into hearts.

For the pancakes you’ll need:

leotunapika_how to make red velvet pancake_kenyan food blogger

In a big bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.

leotunapika_how to make red velvet pancakes 2_kenyan food blogger

In a small bowl, crack in the eggs, add  the vanilla essence then lightly beat with a fork.

Make a well in the dry ingredients mixture, add the eggs and the maziwa mala.

leotunapika_how to make red velvet pancakes 3_kenyan food blogger

Whisk to combine.

leotunapika_how to make red velvet pancakes 5_kenyan food blogger

Let the batter rest for 15 minutes.

Heat some oil in a pan and pour in the batter.I use a cup to ensure they are generally the same size.

leotunapika_how to make red velvet cupcakes 6_kenyan food blogger

leotunapika_how to make red velvet pancakes 7_kenyan food blogger

Once bubbles form flip the pancakes.

leotunapika_how to make red velvet pancakes 8_kenyan food blogger

Repeat until the batter is over.

Serve and enjoy.

leotunapika_how to make red velvet pancakes 11_kenyan food blogger

leotunapika_how to make red velvet pancakes 10_kenyan food blogger

Drizzle over your favourite pancake syrup and devour them!

leotunapika_how to make red velvet pancakes_kenyan food blogger

There you go, fluffy and filling red velvet pancakes.

Go ahead and surprise your loved ones this Valentines.

leotunapika_how to make red velvet pancakes 12_kenyan food blogger

Video:

Recipe yields 9 medium sized pancakes.

Red Velvet Pancakes

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 6 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp red food colour (I use one called P4R)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2 cups maziwa mala
  • Oil for frying

In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar,cocoa powder,red food colour and baking soda.

In another bowl crack in the eggs add the vanilla essence and lightly beat.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture and maziwa mala.

Whisk until combined.

Let the batter rest for about 15 minutes.

Once ready to cook,heat your pan and add some little oil.

Using a cup pour in the batter to form medium sized circles.

Once bubbles form flip to cook the other side.

Repeat until all the batter is done.

Serve with our favourite pancake syrup.

One Comment