Guest Post: Cardamom and Lemon Maandazi

Would you believe me if I told you that for the longest time I used to say cardamon instead of cardamom? Funny!

Maandazis are not things I usually make and I honestly don’t know why.  Thankfully my husband enjoys making them and does so occasionally.

This time round my brother, Man G, decided to make and share his recipe. These maandazis are perfect for breakfast or as a snack.

leotunapika_how to make maandazi_kenyan food blogger

In big bowl add in the milk, I convinced him to also add coconut milk.

leotunapika_how to make maandazi 2_kenyan food blogger

Add in the sugar and lemon zest.

leotunapika_how to make maandazi 3_kenyan food blogger

In another bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla essence mixture.

leotunapika_how to make maandazi 4_kenyan food blogger

Pour in the eggs.

leotunapika_how make maandazi 5_kenyan food blogger

Combine the flour, baking powder and cardamom then add  it to the wet ingredients.

leotunapika_how to make maandazi 6_kenyan food blogger

Keep mixing with a wooden spoon until the flour is combined and the dough is a bit sticky. On a floured surface knead the dough, adding flour gradually until the dough is soft and no longer sticky.

leotunapika_how to make maandazi 7_kenyan food blogger

Rub some vegetable oil on the dough then cover with cling film and let the dough rest. Man G let it rest overnight though he says one hour is good enough.

leotunapika_how to make maandazi 8_kenyan food blogger

Once the dough is well rested, you are ready to make maandazi.

Start by heating the vegetable oil for frying the maandazi. Separate the dough into four parts then roll out each part and cut into your desired shapes.

leotunapika_how to make maandazi 9_kenyan food blogger

leotunapika_how to make maandazi 10_kenyan food blogger

Once the oil is hot, fry up the maandazi. As you can see I am in need of a proper deep frying pan.

leotunapika_how to make maandazi 12_kenyan food blogger

Fry until golden. Keep the cooked maandazi covered to keep them soft.

leotunapika_how to make maandazi 15_kenyan food blogger

• 1 tbsp vanilla essence
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp ground cardamom
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 5 cups all purpose flour
  • Oil for deep frying

In a big bowl add milk, coconut milk and sugar.

Combine and then add lemon zest.

Beat the eggs together with the vanilla essence and then add it to the milk mixture.

Add in a tablespoon of oil.

Mix the flour with the baking powder and ground cardamom then gradually add to the wet ingredients.

Using a wooden spoon incorporate the flour, once the flour is combined on a floured surface knead the dough until it's soft and no longer sticky.

Once ready rub the other tablespoon of oil then cover the dough with cling film and let the dough rest for at least an hour.

After resting, heat oil in a frying pan, roll out your dough , cut into desired shapes.

In hot oil fry the maadazi until golden.

Keep the cooked maadazi covered to keep them soft.

Enjoy with your favourite morning beverage.

NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues.

This is my take on an elevated hot dog.

Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya

Then some arugula.

The mustard is totally optional.

What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues. This is my take on an elevated hot dog. Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya I also cooked some onions, they weren't fully caramelised as I didn't want to spend so much time in the kitchen. For avocado, I smashed it with the back of a spoon. I didn't add any salt as the cheese krainer is sufficient. Then some arugula. The mustard is totally optional. Since the krainer is cheesy, when you bit into it you get some cheesy goodness which is such a pleasant surprise. What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?