Valentines at Caramel

Fancy a sumptuous dinner over this Valentine’s weekend? Well I have the perfect plot for you and dare I say it wouldn’t require you breaking the bank.

A few days ago, some bloggers and I had the privilege of going behind the scenes at the Caramel Lounge kitchen. Chef Sylvester Musau was kind enough to take us through their Valentine’s menu.

From the refreshing avocado and shrimp starter to the well balanced beef tenderloin served with braised potatoes and some parsnip puree to the decadent chocolate lava cake topped with some raspberry sorbet. The experience was amazing to say the least.

leotunapika_kenyan food blogger_caramel 2We sampled the layered shrimp and avocado salad. The shrimp was poached in vegetable broth until just right then tossed in marie rose sauce which has a mayonnaise base. The avocado which is rumored to be an aphrodisiac was diced up, salted and drizzled with some lemon juice. The salad is then topped off with some salad greens.

caramel 19

The refreshing taste of the cool avocado with lemon against the clean taste of the shrimp was delightful. The flavours just explode in your mouth. Exactly the kind of meal to kick start Cupid’s holiday.

leotunapika_kenyan food blogger_caramel 1

For the main course, the 21 days dry aged beef tenderloin. Yes you read right. The aging of the beef ensures all the excess water and blood is removed resulting in tender meat.

The tenderloin is simply seasoned with salt and black pepper. Some olive oil over the tenderloin and off to the grill.

All about the sizzle
All about the sizzle

The tenderloin was dressed in red wine reduction sauce and served with braised potatoes and parsnip puree.caramel 21

The different flavours complemented each other beautifully. From the tender beef with the red wine sauce to the sweet parsnip puree to the subtle flavour of the braised potatoes.Utterly divine.

caramel 8

And how cute do the potatoes look?

Now for the piece de resistance, dessert! Chocolate lava cake with raspberry sorbet topped with tuile (a baked wafer)

leotunapika_kenyan food blogger_caramel 3The rich and dark chocolate taste against the sweet and slightly sour  raspberry, was just right. Perfect ending to an amazing meal.

caramel 22

I enjoyed my meal and my highlight was the starter, I am still thinking about the shrimp.

The ambiance is just right for the occasion setting the mood for a lovely experience.

For just 7000 per couple you too can indulge in this three course menu with a complimentary glass of bubbly.

Even more amazing, Caramel wants you to enjoy this menu not just on Valentine’s Day but all through the weekend because love shouldn’t just be celebrated on one day.

For the vegetarians, not to worry the menu has a vegetarian option.

menu

So what are you waiting for? Call them on 0715 663 463 to make your reservation and wow a loved one.

This Valentine’s share the love.

Caramel Restaurant & Lounge is located inside ABC Place Westlands along Waiyaki Way.

Disclosure: Although this post is sponsored all views and opinions are my own.

NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues.

This is my take on an elevated hot dog.

Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya

Then some arugula.

The mustard is totally optional.

What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues. This is my take on an elevated hot dog. Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya I also cooked some onions, they weren't fully caramelised as I didn't want to spend so much time in the kitchen. For avocado, I smashed it with the back of a spoon. I didn't add any salt as the cheese krainer is sufficient. Then some arugula. The mustard is totally optional. Since the krainer is cheesy, when you bit into it you get some cheesy goodness which is such a pleasant surprise. What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?