Mad About Githeri

Anyone who  knows me well, knows that I absolutely love githeri. I can’t exactly pinpoint the actual reason why but this meal makes me happy. Turns out I am not alone in this, Kaluhi of Kaluhi’s Kitchen also loves githeri.

Particularly when I was pregnant I enjoyed frying up some githeri. Since I never used to boil it myself, I would pester my mom to boil for me. On the days I didn’t get from my mom, I would buy the frozen pre boiled githeri from Cherubet Foods, thanks Dee for introducing me to them. These days I boil the maize and beans thanks to my help.

This is not exactly a recipe post, just me sharing my love for githeri and how I like to have mine.

Whenever I fry githeri I always ensure I use lots of onions. During my last visit to the market, I bought some leeks and since they work just like onions, I decided to use them. I used leeks, spring onions and red onions, I wasn’t kidding , lots of onions.

So in about two tablespoons of oil, fry your onions until tender.

onions
onions

For more flavour I added some finely chopped garlic and ginger. I prefer chopping them finely to mincing with a mortar and pestle.

githeri3

Once the aroma of garlic fills your kitchen you can add your seasoning. I like keeping it simple, so apart from the usual salt and black pepper, I added two tablespoons of ground coriander.

githerri4

Stir and add in the tomatoes.

githeri5

Cook the tomatoes until tender, keep stirring until this lovely sauce forms. I guarantee you, this sauce is perfect on bread, try it.

yummy
yummy

Now for the rest of the ingredients, I added diced carrots, zucchini and eggplants.

I know there are people who love their  githeri without much fuss, you can skip the  carrots and all and just add your pre boiled githeri.

colour splash
colour splash

Stir to mix with the tomato sauce, and finally add your pre boiled githeri. The aim here is to warm up the githeri as the vegetables cook. Once cooked we are ready to serve.

Now for as long as I can remember I have always loved my githeri with Blueband, so I just had to add some.

githeri9

Just so you know how this Blueband and githeri manenos is serious, when my small brother saw me making githeri  he  immediately asked if I had some Blueband, 🙂

Did you know? The new Blueband spread has Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils which are essential oils that improve your blood cholesterol levels and lower your risk of heart disease.

githeri11

There you  go, githeri!

I love mine with lots of onions and a dollop of Blueband, how do you like yours?