What’s your BlueBand Story? #GrowGreatKids

“Step by step, day by day , growing stronger along the way, BlueBand gives you the energy to grow…”

If you grew up in the 90’s you definitely sang along to that tune.

My fondest memory of using Blueband was this ‘strange’ combination we used to make with my ‘big’ small brother (If you see him you’ll understand the big part). Our mom just like any other Kenyan mom, loved making porridge for us. She used to make maize meal porridge and to it make more enjoyable can you guess what we used to put in it?

Yep! BlueBand, not only would we add it but we would also add sugar and salt! Strange combination for sure but trust me that made the porridge so delicious we never stopped at one serving.

So, last week Unilever East Africa launched the new BlueBand spread with Omega 3 and 6 to improve nutrition in Kenya. These essential oils are extracted from locally grown  Kenyan Rapeseed (Canola).

In this day and age where fats are frowned upon it’s important to understand that fat is a necessary part of one’s diet, the idea is to eat the good fats. These good fats are present in nuts (peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts) , avocados, fatty fish (salmon, tuna,sardines), olives ,oils (canola, corn, sunflower, safflower).

As for the bad fats also known as the trans fats those are present in fried foods, hydrogenated oils ,solid fats among others. They are sadly responsible in raising LDL “bad” cholesterol and lower your HDL “good” cholesterol levels.

BlueBand is no longer a margarine but a spread fortified with essential Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils which improve blood cholesterol levels and lower your risk of heart disease.

I have recently started weaning my daughter and one of the things her Pediatrician spoke to us about is the need to introduce good fats and oils in her diet. I’ll definitely try adding some bit of BlueBand in her uji, not to worry though I won’t be putting any sugar or salt :).

So, what’s your BlueBand story?