Fried Plantain

I have an aunt who grows plantain and I was very excited when she came to visit me or rather to see the baby. I figured it would be the perfect time to tell her about my blog and how I wanted to share plantain recipes.

Turns out very few places stock plantains in Nairobi and they are always on high demand. I gathered from my fellow foodies that one can get some from City Park Market. Lucky for me, my aunt brought over the plantain.

fried plantain1

As you can see plantains are large and angular shaped. Unlike the bananas that ripen and can be eaten raw, plantain needs to be cooked. They have a high starch content.

The plantain when cooked has a sweet taste that reminded me of some bananas that my grandmother used to prepare for us. In Meru they are called ‘gikono’. I learnt that they are also in the plantain family.

The plantain has a thick skin and when peeled they are firm.

fried plantain2

I chose to deep fry the plantain. I sliced it up diagonally.

fried plantain3fried plantain4In hot oil, deep fry the plantain slices.

fried plantain5

Fry until lightly browned on both sides. Drain over a bowl lined with paper towels or grease proof paper. Toss the plantain in salt and some freshly ground black pepper.

fried plantain6

Once all the plantain slices are fried, serve as a side dish.

fried plantain7

I served with chicken in groundnut sauce and some stir fried carrots.

fried plantain8This was one delicious meal, my help even said that she felt like she was back in Uganda.

Very satisfying.

Looking to wow a dinner guest or your family? Take some time and prepare this meal. Guaranteed to blow you away.

Fried Plantain

• Plantain, peeled and sliced diagonally
  • Oil for frying
  • Salt
  • Black pepper to taste

Heat oil in a pan.

Deep fry the plantain slices until lightly browned on both sides.

Drain onto a bowl lined with paper towels.

Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss.

Enjoy with some groundnut sauce or with your curry of choice.

NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues.

This is my take on an elevated hot dog.

Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya

Then some arugula.

The mustard is totally optional.

What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues. This is my take on an elevated hot dog. Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya I also cooked some onions, they weren't fully caramelised as I didn't want to spend so much time in the kitchen. For avocado, I smashed it with the back of a spoon. I didn't add any salt as the cheese krainer is sufficient. Then some arugula. The mustard is totally optional. Since the krainer is cheesy, when you bit into it you get some cheesy goodness which is such a pleasant surprise. What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?