Tasty Sunrise

I love challenges and for sure this tasty sunrise mission for the Samsung Blogger Challenge proved to be one.  I have to thank you for the various suggestions and interpretations of the mission.

I settled on sunny side up eggs , bacon and toasted bread. When I read the weekly mission, I was reminded of a magnificent sunrise that I had the priviledge of experiencing while in Tsavo awhile back.

sunrise9

Doesn’t that sunrise look tasty?

Back to the cooking.

Honestly I rarely use the microwave to cook, actually I never do, so this challenge is pretty timely. It’s amazing the things you can make with the microwave.

Also this challenge has debunked a few myths.

Myth 1: You can never cook eggs in the microwave

I always assumed that eggs can’t cook in the microwave, boy was I mistaken. With a few tricks you can prepare just about any type of egg dish using the handy microwave.

For the sunny side up eggs, I decided to spice them up a bit and add dried parsley.

I started by pre heating my plate, yeah! I researched widely before embarking on the challenge.

Using the highest power on your microwave, I used 900W.

Pre heat a microwave safe plate for two minutes.

As the plate is pre heating, prep the egg.

In a bowl, I broke in the egg and seasoned with dried parsley and salt. Don’t stir, we are aiming for sunny side up eggs.

sunrise1

Once your plate is pre heated, using oven mittens, remove the plate. Add  some butter or spray the plate with non stick spray and gently pour in the egg. Poke the egg yolk with a knife, this will ensure the egg doesn’t explode while cooking.

Put the plate back in the microwave, on power high, cook the egg for 40 seconds. In case it’s not done to your liking, cook it for periods of 15 seconds until desired result is achieved.

sunrise2

Next the bacon. I didn’t want to make plain bacon, so I brushed the bacon streaks with some honey, black pepper and paprika mixture.

On a microwave safe plate, place the bacon streaks, ensure they are on a single layer. Brush with the honey mixture.

sunrise3

Microwave on high for 3 minutes. To avoid the bacon grease from getting onto the microwave walls you can cover the plate with microwave safe food cover .

Once done, remember to use oven mittens to remove the plate since it will be hot. Place the bacon streaks on a paper towel covered plate to drain the excess grease.

Now the starch, I grilled my brown bread slices for 3 minutes on each side.

sunrise4

Cut the toasted bread into fancy triangles and assemble your plate.

I served with a side of sliced avocado.

sunrise5

Wash down the hearty breakfast with your favourite beverage and enjoy the sunrise.

The bacon was very delicous, the honey mixture was a welcomed change.

It was my first time making sunny side up eggs and I actually loved the runny egg yolk. It actually paired well with the toasted bread and avocado.

Now I pose the challenge to you, try at least one of the two recipes and give me your feedback using #samsungbloggerchallenge and #samsungleotunapika on either Facebook, Twitter or Insagram.

Tasty Sunrise

Parsley Sunny Side Up Eggs

• 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
  • A pinch of salt
  • Spicy Honey Bacon

• 2 tablespoons honey
  • A pinch of black pepper
  • A pinch of paprika
  • 4 rashers of sreaky bacon

For the egg;

Pre heat a microwave safe plate in the microwave.

Pre heat on high (power - 900 W) for two minutes.

In a bowl, break the egg and add the parsley and salt.

Once the plate is pre heated, use oven mittens to remove it from the microwave.

Add about a teaspoon of butter on the hot plate.

Gently pour in the egg.

Using a knife, poke the egg yolk.

Cook the egg in the microwave on power high for 45 seconds.

If not done to your liking, cook at increments of 15 seconds until satisfied.

For the bacon;

In a bowl, mix the honey, black pepper and paprika.

Place the bacon on a microwave safe plate.

Brush with the honey mixture.

Cook in the microwave on power high for 3 minutes.

Once cooked, place on a paper towel covered plate to drain the excess grease.

Serve and Enjoy.