Lemon Grass Cooking Class

My friend Rachael and I were invited to take part in a cooking class by Chef Ken Maina which we gladly accepted.

Ken Maina is a trained chef with over ten years experience. He has worked both locally and abroad. He has worked for The Tribe Hotel, The British Army, the airport at Andy Forwarders as a corporate chef among others.

Currently he is in full time consulting and he also instructs cooking classes. Lemon grass cooking class  is his initiative. He also has an app and sms portal for recipes.

For our lesson, we made chicken fricasse with sweet soy concasse and parsley potatoes. I know right! All fancy I tell you.

the chicken
the chicken

DSCN9925

We started with the potatoes.

DSCN9930

Rachael
Rachael

Once peeled, we cut the potatoes, into small cubes.  Then we washed them.

Rachael washing the potatoes
Rachael washing the potatoes

DSCN9935

Next, cooking the potatoes. In a sufuria with cold water, season with salt and add your potatoes. Let them cook for about fifteen minutes.

DSCN9937

DSCN9938

Next, we prepped the chicken.

Precision seasoning
Precision seasoning

DSCN9943

We used the condiments below for the seasoning.

DSCN9949

At about the same time the potatoes were done. We drained the water and shocked it with some cold water.

DSCN9952

For the concasse, sounds foreign, well it’s derived from a French word, concasser which means to grind or crush. Since we made a tomato concasse it’s safe to say the tomatoes were crushed.

We started by prepping the onions and some garlic. Ken showed us those fancy knife handling techniques, needless to say we’ll need more practice to be as proficient as he is.

DSCN9955

For the chicken fricasee, another foreign term. Again borrowed from a French word, is a method of cooking where the piece of meat is sauteed, then braised and serve with its sauce – Wikipedia.

In a pan with oil, we sauteed the chicken. Point to note, the oil had to be smoky before putting in the chicken.

DSCN9958

Saute on both sides. We later put them in the oven for the chicken to cook through.

Is this where I mention that Rachael tasted a small piece of chicken? I guess not 🙂

ready for the oven
ready for the oven

DSCN9964

Making the concasse was pretty easy and quick.

Heat some olive oil in a sauce pan and cook the onion and garlic.

DSCN9968

Once cooked, in goes the tomato paste. As taught, always let the tomato paste cook.

DSCN9970

DSCN9971

Season with salt and dried oregano.

DSCN9973

This sauce can also work as a base for pizza toppings when making pizza.

Add the crushed tomatoes.

DSCN9966

DSCN9974

Let the sauce cook down.

Due to our eagerness, Rachael and I hadn’t had anything to eat since breakfast so you can imagine how hungry we were. To make matters even worse, another student was learning how to make lasagna, the sight of stringy cheese and all  the meaty goodness was killing us.

Anyway, our meal was almost ready,as the chicken was baking and the sauce was simmering, we finalised on the potatoes.

Finely chop some parsley, we used the flat leafed parsley.

DSCN9967

Melt butter in a pan.

DSCN9975

The potatoes and the chopped parsley.

DSCN9976

Now the tossing in the butter, that also required some skilled which again we are yet to acquire, 😀 Ken said it was all in the wrist. As you can see from the photo my wrist technique is a bit wanting.

The pans also went in the oven.

DSCN9979

Back to the sauce, all thick and saucy. We tasted for seasoning and adjusted accordingly.

DSCN9980

DSCN9981

Serving time.

Clearly the art of plating is something I am yet to learn, I can blame my lack of it to the fact that I’m always anxious to eat so I never care much for it.  However, these days I try to make an effort.

Dip the chicken in the concasse and serve.

Plating done by Ken.

Rachael's plate
Rachael’s plate

My plate

My plate

DSCN9988

Doesn’t that look pretty?

Rachael and Ken, posting the photo on Instagram
Rachael and Ken posting a photo on Instagram

After the photo ops, we sat down and cleared the plates. A perfect reward for our hard work.

DSCN9992

To learn to make this and many other exciting dishes you can reach Ken on 0724 374 629.

NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues.

This is my take on an elevated hot dog.

Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya

Then some arugula.

The mustard is totally optional.

What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues. This is my take on an elevated hot dog. Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya I also cooked some onions, they weren't fully caramelised as I didn't want to spend so much time in the kitchen. For avocado, I smashed it with the back of a spoon. I didn't add any salt as the cheese krainer is sufficient. Then some arugula. The mustard is totally optional. Since the krainer is cheesy, when you bit into it you get some cheesy goodness which is such a pleasant surprise. What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?