Chocolate Mug Cake

I believe I have mentioned before that I am a serious chocolate lover. Whenever I feel like snacking on something sneaky I get myself a chocolate bar.

Keeping with theme for this week’s Samsung blogger challenge, I felt it was best to make a chocolate mug cake.

I have been obsessing over Pinterest lately and I got the inspiration for this recipe from one of the pins.

The great thing about mug cakes is that they are pretty quick to make and dare I say foolproof. Another great this is that they sort of limit the portion size of the cake so one eats less cake which can be a good thing if you are trying to avoid too much sweet.

In a large mug add the margarine.

mug cake15

Melt the margarine in the microwave for 30 seconds.

mug cake16

Add the egg and beat it with a fork.

can you see the egg yolk?
can you see the egg yolk?

In goes the milk and vanilla essence.

mug cake2

Add the sugar.

mug cake3

Stir the mixture together.

Now to add the dry ingredients, the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.

flour
flour

cocoa powder, baking powder and salt
cocoa powder, baking powder and salt

Mix the batter until smooth. From my research I learnt that the recipe yields two mug cakes.

mug cake6

Grease two small mugs with some melted margarine and divide the batter between the mugs.

mug cake7Microwave the mug cakes one at a time at the highest power for my Samsung Microwave Oven that’s 900W for 1 minute 30 seconds.

You’ll see the cake rising while it’s in the microwave. How cool?

Once both mug cakes are done, serve.

Topped with sliced strawberries and some icing sugar.

mug cake12

Topped with vanilla ice cream and cocoa powder sprinkled over the ice cream.

mug cake11

The mug cakes were very spongy and airy. The chocolate flavour was mild.

mug cake8

mug cake14

mug cake9mug cake10The mug cakes aren’t as good are actual cakes but they come pretty close.

So go ahead whip up a quick dessert and surprise your dinner date.

mug cake13

Chocolate Mug Cake

• 2 tablespoons margarine
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 1/4 cup sugar (3 tablespoons)
  • 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • A pinch of salt

In a large mug, add the margarine and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Add the egg and lightly beat with a fork.

Add the milk, vanilla essence and sugar and combine.

Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.

Beat until smooth.

Grease two microwave safe mugs and divide the batter between them.

Microwave each mug cake at 900 W for 1 minute 30 seconds.

Remove from the using using oven mitts.

Serve and enjoy.

1. Pingback: Strawberry Sauce | Leo Tunapika?