Hasselback Potatoes

Hasselback potatoes are a Swedish creation. They were invented by the chefs at the Hasselbacken Restaurant in Sweden, that pretty much explains the name. They are basic baked potatoes but with a twist.

I happened to buy some pretty huge potatoes not so long ago and their size inspired me to make them.

Since I wanted to use the potatoes with their skins on I first washed them. This might require some patience if your potatoes are extra dirty. If you don’t fancy potato skins you can peel them.

The washed and dried potatoes.

hasselback2

Now the exciting part, making slices on the potatoes. The slices should be at least in intervals of one eighths and should not get to the  bottom of the potato.

hasselback3

Repeat the procedure for the remaining potatoes.

Lightly grease your baking dish or tray and arrange the potatoes.

hasselback4

For flavouring I had heated some few tablespoons of sunflower oil, you can use olive oil. I infused the oil with some chopped garlic.

garlic infused oil
garlic infused oil

Before baking the potatoes, sprinkle the garlic infused oil over the potato slices.

hasselback5Sprinkle over some salt and black pepper and we are ready to bake these babies.

About 30 minutes into baking, you can brush the potatoes with some oil. I just basted them with the oil that was in the baking dish and I also sprinkled some paprika.

Let the potatoes bake for another 30 to 40 minutes.

Once cooked, served immediately.

hasselback7

Voila, hasselback potatoes.

These potatoes are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Pure perfection.

They were delicious and one potato is more than enough. Hubby loved them. A+

hasselback9

I served them with some onion fried chicken and some stir fried veggies.

hasselback10

Hasselback Potatoes

• 4 large potatoes
  • 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
  • Paprika
  • Salt
  • Black pepper

Wash and pat dry the potatoes.

Make one eighth interval slices on the potatoes ensuring you don't slice all the way to the bottom.

Pre heat your oven at 200 degrees C or 400 degrees F.

Heat the oil and garlic cloves in a small pan for about 2 minutes.

Lightly grease your baking dish and arrange the potatoes.

Pour over the garlic infused oil over the potatoes.

Sprinkle over salt and black pepper.

Bake the potatoes at 210 degrees C or 425 degrees F.

After 30 minutes of baking brush the potatoes with some oil and sprinkle over some paprika.

Bake for a further 30 to 40 minutes.

Serve immediately when the top is still crispy.

One Comment

1. Pingback: Parmesan and Garlic Hasselback Potatoes - Leo Tunapika?