Drop Scones for Dinner

My friend Kui asked me if I knew how to prepare drop scones, at first I told her no but after researching I realised one just uses the basic pancake batter. The difference is in the size. You use a spoon to drop the batter into the pan and voila drop scones.

During my research, I landed on a you tube video that even had serving suggestions. The chef made some caremelised pineapples to serve with the drop scones. I just had to try out the recipe. So on our way home I tell hubby that we’ll have pancakes for dinner and surprise surprise he is ok with it. Well before you go to think I was going to make pancakes without a back up plan you are mistaken. I knew I had some leftover food in the fridge so in case he wasn’t full I’d re heat that.

For the drop scones, I used my basic pancake recipe:

1 1/2 cups all purpose

2 eggs

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 tablespoon vanilla essence

zest of one lemon

1 cup water (The batter should be a bit thick)

Oil for frying

In a bowl combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Then add in the eggs.

Add the eggs to the flour, sugar and baking powder mixture

Add the vanilla essence, lemon zest and the water.

sorry about the shadow

So now, heat your skillet and prepare to cook the drop scones.

Using a tablespoon, scoop the batter and drop/pour over the heated oil in the skillet.

Drop! Drop!

For the caramelised pineapples you’ll need:

Pineapple chunks

11/2 tablespoons sugar

A pinch of cinnamon

1 cup pineapples chunks

In a pan over low heat, caramelize the sugar.

Sugar in the pan

So don’t do what I did and burn the caramel, the pineapples will have a sort of burned taste like mine did :-(.

Sprinkle some cinnamon over the caramel and add the pineapples.

Caramelising

Stir the pineapples to ensure all are coated with the caramel.

All coated 🙂

Everything is set. Plate the drop scones add the pineapples and drizzle some of the caramel over the pancakes. We also drizzled them with some honey.

Dinner is served 🙂

Drop scones

So, I take the dinner to hubby and again I mention that there’s food in the fridge in case he feels he won’t be satisfied.

Great thing, he didn’t ask for the food. He loved the meal. Yippee!!