Show me a bigger salad lover than I? I’m waiting.
I absolutely love salads. The different textures and flavours at play just make me so happy. I learnt of an online business that sells organically grown vegetables and I bought some supplies from them. I got the curly kale and beets from them. As soon as I’d seen the kale I knew exactly what I wanted to make.
Here’s a haul video I did on my Instagram.
The only time consuming part of this salad recipe is the preparation of the beetroot. You can choose to either steam/ boil the beets or roast them. I opted to roast. I would suggest you prepare a huge batch that way you have beets on hand.
For the beets, I cut them into bite size pieces that way they roast much faster then roasting them whole.
For the curly kale, wash each leaf thoroughly then remove from the stems and tear roughly and set aside. If you have a salad spinner dry the leaves with that, otherwise pat dry with paper towels.
For the apples try to get the crunchiest. This will add to the texture differences in the salad.
For the dressing, I made a simple vinaigrette which I felt needed some sweetness thus, I’ve added honey in the recipe card.
The salad is the perfect combo of sweet, slight bitterness from the kale and savouriness from the feta. Very delicious.
Beet and Feta Kale Salad
- 2 large beetroots washed and cut into bit sized pieces
- 8 stems curly kale washed, dried, stems removed and torn up
- 2 medium apples washed, cored and cut into bit sized pieces
- 150 grams feta cheese crumbled into small pieces
- 1/2 cup almond slices / cashew nuts pieces/ walnuts toasted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch salt
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven at 180 degrees C.
- In an oven safe dish or baking tray add beetroot pieces, season with salt and pour over a tablespoon of oil. Mix with your hand and arrange in a single layer. Bake at 180 degrees C for 30 minutes or until the beets can be easily pierced with a fork or knife.
- For the curly kale pieces, add a tablespoon of olive oil and massage them with your hands and set aside.
- Once the beets are roasted and cooled, assemble the salad. In a large bowl, add the kale, roasted beets, apple slices and crumbled feta pieces.
For the dressing
- In a small air tight jar, add all the ingredients of the dressing and shake to emulsify.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Add the toasted nuts.
- Serve and enjoy.