Basics: Fluffiest Pancakes Ever

It’s no secret, I absolutely love pancakes and it’s evident by the numerous pancake recipes that are on here.

I’ve been toying with the idea of developing a basic pancake recipe that will basically be the one to rule them all. Essentially a basic pancake recipe that one can build on in terms of flavour and preference. I’m happy to say that after several trials with different liquids (mala, substitute buttermilk, water and even whey) I present you with the only pancakes recipe you’ll ever need.

This recipe yields the fluffiest, softest and most delicious pancakes ever and wanna know the secret? Not over mixing the batter and maziwa mala.

For this recipe I used all purpose flour and baking powder but if you are using self raising omit the baking powder.

Start with the dry ingredients, whisk to combine.

At this stage you can add your spices of choice, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg or whatever you like.

I added some lemon zest, orange zest would also work beautifully.

Combine then make a well for the wet ingredients.

Add the eggs, vanilla essence and your liquid of choice. I used maziwa mala.

It’s important to ensure the eggs and mala are at room temperature so remove them from the fridge at least 30 minutes before use.

For the liquid used, I have experimented with water, whey ( a by product of cheese making) and substitute to buttermilk (1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon of either lemon juice or distilled white vinegar).

All the liquids I’ve mentioned yielded soft pancakes, however the fluffiest were the ones with maziwa mala. Also it’s worth to note when using the other liquids (water, whey, substitute buttermilk or even milk) reduce the quantity by about half a cup.

Once the wet ingredients are in, use a whisk and gradually incorporate the dry. Now this is the make or break part, once the dry is incorporated don’t mix any further, don’t try to get rid of any lumps. When it come to pancakes you just want the batter mixed, we aren’t making crepes so the batter need not be smooth.

I usually don’t add melted butter to the batter but if you want you can add a tablespoon. Then cook the pancakes.

I don’t have a pancake griddle so I use my stainless saute pan to make pancakes. I like it because I can make several pancakes at a go. Here, over medium heat, add about a tablespoon of oil and swirl the pan to coat the surface.

Using a quarter cup measure, pour out the pancake batter, you can spread it out a little. Let the pancakes cook, you’ll know they are ready to be flipped when bubbles that appear on the surface pop. Flip and cook the other side for under a minute.

Now, I don’t reapply oil to the pan for the subsequent, I love how the pancakes brown up evenly and look like one used a griddle or a non stick pan.

these are the ones cooked without oil

And there you have it, the fluffiest pancakes ever.

They are so soft you can enjoy with no sauce or syrup.

topped off with some toffee sauce

Here is a photo of using the same recipe but I swapped the mala for whey.

Video

Basics: Fluffiest Pancakes Ever

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 6 tbsp sugar
  • zest of one lemon (optional)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2 cups maziwa mala
  • Oil for frying

In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, sugar and lemon zest.

Whisk to combine.

Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the eggs, vanilla essence and mala.

Using a whisk gradually mix the wet and dry being carefully not to over mix.

In a large pan or griddle over medium heat, add about a tablespoon of oil and swirl to coat the surface.

Using a quarter cup measure, pour out the pancake batter.

Once bubbles appear on the surface of pancakes and pop flip to cook the underside.

Repeat the cooking process for the rest of the batter.

For subsequent pancakes, you can choose not to oil the pan again.

Serve warm as is or with your favourite syrup or sauce.

*yields 12-16 pancakes

** if using water, milk, whey or substitute buttermilk use 1 1/2 cups instead of 2 cups