Falafels with Salsa

The first time I made falafels my eldest daughter called them meatballs.They absolutely love eating them and always munch away even before I’m done making them.I’ve always been curious about falafels and how they taste. Strangely though, I have never ordered them at Zucchini. I always get the chicken shawarma.After finding chickpeas at my local supermarket I figured it was high time I made falafels. Several google searches later, I realised that they are pretty easy to make. After several trials, I felt confident to share this recipe. It’s guaranteed to wow just about anyone well except my brother, who by the way agreed they were delicious but the thought that it was chickpeas he was eating bothered him.Major key, for falafels one uses soaked chickpeas not boiled. Soaked chickpeas.
Soak them overnight in water. In a bowl add the chickpeas and cover completely with cold water and let them soak for 12 to 24 hours. No refrigeration needed.Once soaked, the rest is pretty easy and quick you just need one small, well not so small, kitchen gadget, the food processor.Pulse all the ingredients in it and you are good to go. The flour helps in binding the ingredients and the baking soda helps in making them less dense.

the soaked chickpeas
onions
dhania
parsley
fresh dill
By the way, can you tell the difference between dhania and parsley?Dhania is fragrant compared to parsleyDhania has round points on the leaves whereas parsley leaves are pointy.Dhania stalks are not as firm and sturdy as parsley stalks.Parsley is richer in colour compared to dhania.
dhania
flat leaf / italian parsley
The texture we are going for is between coarse and fine crumbs.Then form little balls. When forming the balls, squeeze out any excess liquid.Heat up oil in a deep frying pan until hot and then fry up those babies. At least 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until they are a beautiful brown colour.Always remember never to crowd the pan when deep frying. Crowding leads to reduction of the temperature of oil subsequently leading to longer cooking time and the food absorbing the oil.Once done, it’s assembly time.I chose to make my own pita bread using the same recipe as last time but if you can’t be bothered, you can buy pita bread from Zucchini.Normally falafels are served with hummus but I didn’t make some, however, I did have this sesame seed dressing that I drizzled over.I also made a quick salsa (kachumbari) using onions, tomatoes and seasoned with salt, black pepper and juice of one lemon.There you have it, delicious falafels with salsa.I have since tried falafels from Zucchini and I maintain that this recipe is the bomb dot com.Video:

Falafels with Salsa

• Freshly ground black pepper
  • Chilli powder optional
  • Oil for deep frying
  • for the salsa

• 1 medium red onion chopped
  • 3 small tomatoes diced
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Juice of one lemon

Soak the chickpeas in cold water for 12 to 24 hours or overnight. No refrigeration required.

In a food processor combine all the ingredients for the falafels.

Pulse several times until you get a texture that is between coarse and fine.

Form into small balls, use about a tablespoon to scoop out the mixture.

Squeeze out any excess liquid.

In deep frying pan with hot oil, fry the falafels.

Fry about 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until they are a beautiful brown colour.

Combine the salsa ingredients in a bowl and mix.

To assemble, take your pita bread, add some falafels then the salsa and drizzle your dressing of choice. I used a sesame dressing.

Enjoy.