How to: Samosa Pockets

Ever heard of a person who failed at using pre made samosa sheets? Well I did! In my defense as soon as I had started to work with the sheets my other daughter (we were blessed with another girl back in November last year) woke up and I had to abandon everything. When I came round to using the sheets they had dried out a bit and any attempt to fold led to tears (pun not intended) 🙁 . Funny thing this was my first time using the pre made sheets. Usually I make my own samosa pockets. Anyway after that epic fail I went back to what I actually know so today I share how I make samosa pockets.

Just the thought of making samosa pockets is intimidating but trust me it’s easier and faster than you think.  Once you get the hang of it and master the ‘tricks’ you’ll be rolling out your own.

The use of lime juice may seem strange, however I came to learn that the juice prevents the formation of air pockets on the samosas when deep fried. Since using it I’ve noticed that the ‘pimples’ are pretty non existent.

For the samosa pockets, this is what you’ll need;

how-to-make-samosa-pockets-leotunapika

Ingredients

2 cups flour, extra for dusting and kneading

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup water, extra 2 tablespoons in case the dough is a bit dry

Juice of one lime

Method

In a bowl mix the flour and salt.

1. Make a well, then pour in the water
  2. Pour in the lime juice
  3. Using a wooden spoon, mix the dough until it’s sticky.how-to-make-samosa-pocketsOn a floured surface, knead the dough until soft and no longer sticky. Lightly oil the dough and let it rest for about 10 minutes.how-to-make-samosa-pockets-leotunapika-7
  4. Once the dough is rested, divide it into quarters.
  5. Roll out each quarter into a log and cut to form 3 equal balls.
  6. Repeat the above procedure to yield a total of 12 small ballshow-to-make-samosa-pockets-leotunapika-9
  7. Keep the small balls covered to keep them from drying out.
  8. Take one of the small balls
  9. Using a rolling pin,roll out the ball into a small disc.
  10. Repeat the process to form 3 small discs.how-to-make-samosa-pockets-leotunapika-10
  11. Take one of the three small rolled out discs and brush with some vegetable oil.
  12. Dust the oiled disc with some flour.
  13. Take another rolled out disc and place on top of the oiled and floured one.
  14. how-to-make-samosa-pockets
  15. Repeat the procedure, brush some oil on the second disc.
  16. Dust with some flour
  17. Place the third disc on the two that have already been staked up.
  18. Dust the three layers with some flour and prepare to roll them out.how-to-make-samosa-pockets-leotunapika
  19. Using a rolling pin, firmly roll out the stacked up discs.
  20. Keep flipping over to ensure the discs roll out while still maintaining a circular shape. Heat up a heavy bottomed pan, I used the one for making chapatis. No oil is needed.
  21. On a heated pan, place the rolled out dough.
  22. The idea is the dough to partially cook, flip after air pockets start to form on one side, then remove from the pan.how-to-make-samosa-pockets-leotunapika
  23. Now the fun part, gently lift the top layer and gently pull away from the other two.
  24. Pull away gently to keep the sheets from tearing.
  25. Repeat for the second layer
  26. how-to-make-samosa-pockets-leotunapikaThe sheets will be light and almost translucent.samosa-pockets-35
  27. Once all the sheets have been precooked, stack them together.
  28. Using a knife, cut the sheets in half
  29. Samosa pockets ready for use.how-to-make-samosa-pockets-leotunapikaNow the sheets are ready to use. Before using the sheets, prepare an edible glue using flour and water. samosa-pockets-39
  30. Take one of the sheets.
  31. Bring the end furthest from you to form a triangle.
  32. Using a brush or your finger, apply some of the edible glue of the piece that is left.
  33. Fold over to seal the pocket.how-to-make-samosa-pockets-leotunapikaThis will form a cone, with a cavity for the filling.how-to-make-samosa-pockets-46
  34. Fill the cone with your preferred filling, don’t stuff.
  35. Using your thumbs close up the cone.
  36. Apply more of the edible glue on the hanging flap.
  37. Then fold over to seal the samosa.how-to-make-samosa-pockets-leotunapikaThere you have it, a beautifully formed samosa that is the ready to be cooked.how-to-make-samosa-pockets

And there you have it!

How to make samosa pockets at home,don’t let the somewhat lengthy post scare you, this is actually pretty easy to do.

Do try this method out,I’d love to see your results.

Happy Cooking!

1. Pingback: Chicken Samosas - Leo Tunapika?

2. Pingback: Cheesy Samosas - Spice & Heat