ginger-snaps-leotunapika

Ginger Snaps

Cookies have been on my mind lately from chocolate chip to ginger snaps.

I enjoy baking, be it cakes, cupcakes and muffins but rarely do I make cookies. Up until a week ago I had never made ginger snaps, I searched through pinterest and found a recipe which I tried and now tweaked to share with you. I reduced the baking time and added the amount of ginger. I also made a few substitutions.

ginger-snaps-leotunapika

The beauty of cookie preparations is that there’s not much fuss and you can get away with just using a bowl and wooden spoon to mix up the ingredients. Also a fun recipe to try out with the kids. My 15 month old is still a bit young but that didn’t stop her from commandeering the wooden spoon from me 🙂

In a bowl,cream together the sugar and butter, I used margarine.

ginger-snaps-leotunapika ginger-snaps-leotunapikaOnce fluffy add the egg and the blac treacle.

ginger-snaps-leotunapikaThe recipe called for molasses, however you can substitute it for blac treacle. The molasses or treacle not only help in adding to the colour but also makes the cookies chewy at the centre.

ginger-snaps-leotunapikaMix up the flour with the spices and baking soda.

ginger-snaps-leotunapika

Mix the dry ingredients with the wet.

ginger-snaps-leotunapikaNotice the person in green on the far left? Yep,that’s my daughter busy combining the ingredients. Mix until everything is incorporated.

ginger-snaps-leotunapika

If you working with kids, this is the part they come in handy, get them to assist you with rolling out the cookie dough into small balls, about the size of two macadamia nuts. My daughter couldn’t assist me with this since she’d end up eating all the dough.

Once you form the mini balls,roll them in sugar and place on an ungreased baking tray or a tray lined with parchment paper.

ginger-snaps-leotunapikaBake in a pre heated oven.

When making cookies, I ensure I use a timer since even one minute over the recommended baking time could lead to burnt cookies. Another tip is since oven temperatures fluctuate usually the baking time is given as a range, I usually work with the lower end of the range and keep monitoring the cookies if not yet done.

Once the cookies are done,allow to cool on the tray for a short while before putting them on the rack to cool off completely. Cookies firm up further as they cool.

Enjoy with a glass of cold milk.

ginger-snaps-leotunapika

Crunchy on the edges and chewy at the centre.

ginger-snaps-leotunapika

ginger-snaps-leotunapika

ginger-snaps-leotunapika

Ginger Snaps

• 3/4 cup unsalted butter/ margarine
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup molasses/ blac treacle
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp ginger
  • Extra sugar for rolling

Pre heat your oven at 350 degrees F

Cream the butter/margarine and sugar until fluffy

Add in the egg and the molasses/blac treacle

Add the dry ingredients and mix until all the flour is incorporated

Form balls the size of two macadamia nuts. Roll in the sugar to coat.

Place on an ungreased or parchment lined baking tray 2" apart

Bake for 8-10 minutes,let them cool on the try slightly before transferring to a rack.

This recipe yields approximately 48 cookies.

1 day ago