zucchini-tomato-sauce

Zucchini in Tomato Sauce

Zucchinis or courgettes whichever name you choose to use are a type of squash which are quite versatile. You can use in your stews and curries, as a snack in form of fritters or even baked/fried zucchini sticks, in frittatas or quiches or better yet make a loaf of zucchini bread. I have been making this zucchini in tomato sauce  for a while now and is usually my go to when I need a sauce for my pasta. Plus my daughter enjoys it.

The addition of zucchini to the sauce adds texture and of course more nutrients. The zucchini soaks in all the flavour thus isn’t bland.

When buying zucchini always get those that are firm and don’t have bruises. They keep well in the vegetable crisper compartment of the fridge.

zucchini-tomato-sauce-leotunapika

Cube the zucchini into bite size pieces and set aside.

zucchini-tomato-sauce-leotunapika

For the tomato sauce I followed my simple tomato sauce recipe which involves blanching fresh ripe tomatoes in hot water to ease removal of the skins and then blending the tomato flesh.

zucchini-tomato-sauce-leotunapika
blanching the tomatoes

zucchini-tomato-sauceNow to get started on the cooking.

In a sauce pot heat some oil then add your minced garlic and ginger.Fry until fragrant.

zucchini-tomato-sauce-leotunapikaThen add in the blended tomatoes.

zucchini-tomato-sauce-leotunapika

Notice the colour of the tomatoes before being cooked and after they have cooked,the red colour darkens.

zucchini-tomato-sauce
season with salt and pepper

Remember tomatoes tend to be acidic so an addition of some sugar helps to cut through the acidity also the sugar adds a hint of sweetness.

zucchini-tomato-sauce-leotunapika

Stir and let the sauce simmer over medium low heat for about 20-25 minutes. As the sauce cooks the colour will darken to yield a rich red colour.

zucchini-tomato-sauce-leotunapikaNow add in the zucchini cubes to the sauce.

zucchini-tomato-sauceStir and let the zucchini cook until done. It should be firm to the bite but cooked. Then add some thinly sliced basil leaves for extra flavour and aroma.

Serve and enjoy with some pasta, bread roll or even on it’s own.

zucchini-tomato-sauce-leotunapikaI dare you, try this simple yet nutritious vegetarian dish.

zucchini-tomato-sauce

Zucchini in Tomato Sauce

• 8-10 tomatoes, blanched and peeled
  • 3 cloves of garlic,minced
  • 1 inch ginger root,minced
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2 medium sized zucchinis, cubed
  • 2 basil leaves, thinly sliced
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Oil for frying

Start by blending the blanched and peeled tomatoes.

In a sauce pan heat some oil and add in the garlic and ginger.

Once fragrant, pour in the blended tomato flesh.

Add salt, pepper and sugar

Let the sauce simmer for 20-25 minutes or until it gains a rich red colour.

Add in the zucchini cubes and cook until done.

Depending on the size of the zucchini cubes it can take 5- 8 minutes.

Once cooked, sprinkle the basil leaves, taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.

Turn off the heat and serve.

This sauce can be enjoyed as is or with pasta or bread.