coconut chicken curry leotunapika

Coconut Chicken Curry

Happy Eid Mubarak to my muslim readers!

When it comes to broiler chicken on bone I always gravitate towards baking. I hardly stew or curry the chicken pieces mainly because I find that the chicken can easily fall off the bone when manipulated too much. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I visited my friend Dee, she had made delicious creamy mash potatoes to accompany a lovely  coconut chicken curry which I absolutely loved. I vowed to give it a try.

The chicken curry is utterly simple to make and requires very minimal ingredients. I love sharing simple yet amazing recipes that can be incorporated to daily cooking not just special occasion recipes.

Broiler chicken can be pretty fatty and if you can trim excess fat before cooking the better.

In a large sufuria or wok arrange your chicken pieces, I used chicken thighs. I wanted the chicken pieces to be in a single layer.

coconut chicken curry leotunapika

For seasoning I added the usual salt, black pepper and for flavour some rosemary leaves. The rosemary flavour will infuse the chicken as it cooks.

coconut chicken curry leotunapika

As you can see I haven’t added any liquid or oil.Just cover and let the chicken cook. The juices and fats from the chicken will render as it cooks. The idea is to let the chicken cook completely and then drain the juices and the excess fat.

coconut chicken curry leotunapika
look at all that oil

Would you imagine, all that fat is from the chicken, as I said the chicken can be pretty fatty. Drain all the fat and let the chicken dry out a little further as it browns.

coconut chicken curry leotunapikaNow add in the chopped onions and garlic.

coconut chicken curry leotunapikaSee how the chicken has browned beautifully?

Once the onions and garlic get fragrant, add in the coconut milk and some water.

coconut chicken curry leotunapikaLet the curry simmer and the sauce will thicken and reduce.

coconut-chicken-curry-leotunapika-7Once the curry has reduced,taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Add some roughly chopped dhania and turn off the heat.

coconut chicken curry leotunapikaAnd there you have it, a simple coconut chicken curry.

coconut-chicken-curry-leotunapika-10Simple to make but amazing in taste and flavour. Amazing with some rice or even naan.

Coconut chicken curry! Yum

coconut chicken curry leotunapikaThank you Dee for inspiring me to try something different.

Video:

Coconut Chicken Curry

• 13 broiler chicken thighs, or any other pieces
  • 1 rosemary sprig
  • 1 medium sized red onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic,minced
  • 400 ml coconut milk
  • Some water, about 1/2 a glass
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • A handful of dhania, roughly chopped

In a large sufuria or wok, arrange the chicken pieces preferably in a single layer.

Season with salt and black pepper and add in the rosemary leaves.

Cover and let the chicken cook on medium heat for about 25 minutes.

The chicken will turn white as it cooks and the skin will start browning.

The chicken will also render some fat and juices,drain off the excess.

Let the chicken cook for a few minutes to brown further.

Add the chopped onion and garlic and stir to combine.

Once they are fragrant add the coconut milk and water.

Let the curry simmer and the sauce will thicken and reduce.

Once reduced, taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.

Turn off the heat and add the chopped dhania.

Serve over some steamed rice or naan.

Enjoy.

1. Pingback: 5 Kenyan foodie blogs you should bookmark for African Recipes | Authoritative Blogging