roasted butternut mash

Baby Food:Roasted Butternut Mash

Weaning is a totally new experience for any new parent. I have found myself wondering if I am feeding my little one the right things. Thankfully I am surrounded by new parents and that has made this journey a lot easier. As I mentioned in my previous post on baby food, my daughter generally eats what we are having. Occasionally I do prepare something separate for her.

Aside from porridge and baby rice, I found butternut worked well for her. It was among the first foods I introduced her to. I opted to bake the butternut as opposed to boiling it. As I said previously, baby food needs not be bland. I love sprinkling some cinnamon on the butternut.

Another plus for baking is you avoid peeling the butternut, granted you can boil with the skin on.

Start by washing the butternut, then halving. Scoop out the seeds.

roasted butternut mash

Using a fork, pierce the flesh of the butternut.

roasted butternut mash

Brush with some oil and sprinkle over some spice. I was out of cinnamon so I used nutmeg. In case you are not comfortable with spices,you can totally omit them.

roasted butternut mash 3

roasted butternut mash 4

Rub in the nutmeg and put the butternut face down on a baking dish and pop it in the oven. Yep, that easy.

roasted butternut mash 5

Depending on the size of the butternut, this should take between 35 – 40 minutes to cook through. You’ll it’s ready when you pierce it with a fork and the fork goes through easily.

roasted butternut mash

Doesn’t that look so good?

Perfectly baked.

Let it cool down a bit before scooping out all the orange goodness.

I am still  perfecting the art of plating baby food so no plated photo. Just mash the butternut with a fork and voila. I served it with some chicken (recipe coming soon) and greens.

Baby Food:Roasted Butternut Mash

• One half of butternut, seeds scooped out
  • Nutmeg/Cinnamon optional
  • Oil for frying

Start by pre heating your oven at 350 degrees F (about 175 degrees C)

Using a fork,poke holes in the flesh of the butternut

Brush some oil on the cut side of the butternut

Then sprinkle over the spices

Place the butternut cut side down on a baking dish

Bake for 35 - 40 minutes depending on the size of the butternut

You know it's done when a fork goes through easily

Mash and serve