White Wine Mushroom Sauce

I hardly ever cook with alcohol or rather I have cooked with wine just once before when making some sauce for lasagna.

I wasn’t quite sure of the kind of wine to use but after a few consultations I settled on a dry and crisp white wine. I don’t take wine or any alcohol for that matter but I am open to having it in my food.

For anyone who may be uncomfortable with cooking with wine, you can omit it from this recipe. Also on a sort of bright side some level of alcohol does cook out.

This recipe is pretty easy to do and can go great as a sauce over grilled chicken or over steaks or even served with plain pasta.

mushroom sauce1

I really wanted to use both button and oyster mushrooms but I only had oyster on hand. For the mushrooms I normally order from Mushroom Blue, they are always fresh plus they deliver with the CBD.

First to saute the mushrooms, of course start with chopping up your onions and garlic.

mushroom sauce3

mushroom sauce4In a skillet melt some butter over medium heat then add in the onions and saute.

mushroom sauce5

As the onion is cooking down, slice up the mushrooms, I normally remove the thick stalk.

mushroom sauce6

Once onions are cooked lightly, add in the garlic and stir.

mushroom sauce7Then add in the mushrooms.

mushroom sauce8

Stir and let the mushrooms cook down, they will release some liquid which eventually evaporates. Cook for 8-10 minutes until mushrooms are lightly browned.

mushroom sauce9

As you can see the mushrooms have developed some lovely colour and also reduced.

Now the fun part, add in your wine. Only a little goes a long way. Let the wine cook out, this will take a pretty short time. The flavour of the wine adds in to the overall taste of the sauce.

mushroom sauce10

Now sprinkle in the flour and stir.

mushroom sauce11

Now pour in the broth, I used chicken stock – which I cheated by tossing a chicken cube in hot water 🙂 . Short cuts are at times welcomed in the kitchen.

mushroom sauce12

The stock looks a lot, not to worry it will cook down to create a lovely thick sauce thanks to the flour we had earlier added.

Let the sauce cook for 12 – 14 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally to get the flour totally dissolved.

mushroom sauce14

See, creamy thick sauce.

Whenever I use stocks in my cooking I avoid pre salting the dish. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly, mine didn’t need any salt.

White Wine Mushroom Sauce.
White Wine Mushroom Sauce.

Creamy and utterly delicious. I served mine with some grilled chicken.

Mr. Food Critic termed it as excellent.

White Wine Mushroom Sauce

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 500 g oyster mushrooms, sliced and stalks removed
  • 1/4 cup dry and crisp white wine
  • 3 tablespoons plain flour
  • 4 cups stock, I used chicken
  • Salt and pepper to taste

In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onions.

Cook down the onions for a few minutes and then add the minced garlic and stir.

Add in the mushrooms, stir and let them cook down for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.

The mushrooms will release some liquid which will later evaporate.

After the mushrooms are cooked, add in the white wine, stir and let it cook out.

Sprinkle over the flour and stir and finally add in the stock.

Let the stock boil and come to a simmer for 12 - 14 minutes, stir occasionally to dissolve the flour.

Once done, taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.

One Comment

1. Pingback: Grilled Chicken in Mushroom Sauce | Leo Tunapika?