Kienyeji Pot Roast

I normally avoid cooking kienyeji (road runner) chicken for fear of under cooking it and of course the fact that it can be a bit tough. On one of my visits at my neighbours place (read the Murigis), I found some Tupike magazines which I gladly skimmed through and voila I landed on this recipe.

I was to host my colleagues for lunch and that moment a light bulb went on since I’d been clueless on what to prepare. So I hosted the lunch and for sure the chicken was a hit. Not only was the chicken perfectly cooked but it was delicious and soft. I believe my colleagues enjoyed since I’m yet to get a negative remark.

Ingredients:

Marinade:

3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

3 tablespoons of soy sauce

1 tablespoon of crushed garlic

1 teaspoon of crushed ginger

The pot roast:

1 road runner chicken cut in pieces set aside the giblets (liver,heart) and neck

3 large carrots, peeled and cut into huge chunks

3-4 celery sticks, washed and cut into chunks

1 large red onion chopped

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Start by making the marinade.

Crush the ginger and garlic.

my handy mortar and pestle
my handy mortar

In a large bowl combine the vegetable oil and soy sauce.

mixture of vegetable oil and soy sauce
mixture of vegetable oil and soy sauce

Then mix in the ginger and garlic.

ginger and garlic
ginger and garlic

Finally put in all the chicken pieces and mixture evenly with the marinade. Ensure the chicken is thoroughly coated. (The next image is disturbing, viewer discretion is advised)

marinade

Now, cover the bowl with a clear cling wrap and put it in the fridge for a minimum of thirty minutes. If you have time you can marinate it overnight (in the fridge of course).

So thirty minutes or so later…

Making the pot roast;

carrots, onions and celery
carrots, onions and celery

In a large sufuria, or rather one that can fit one whole chicken put about one tablespoon of vegetable oil. Let the oil heat up then saute the onions.

sauteing
sauteing

Once the onions are browned, add the marinated chicken pieces. The cooker should be on high, the aim here is to brown the chicken pieces. When adding the chicken start with the chicken thighs and legs followed by the other pieces.

chicken

Keep stirring to ensure all the chicken pieces get browned. Do this for about three minutes.

browned...i think
browned…i think

Let the chicken cook on high for about ten to fifteen minutes then add in the carrot chunks and the celery. You can season with a little salt.

colour splash
colour splash

Now, reduce the heat to medium or medium low , cover the sufuria and let the chicken cook for forty five minutes.

So, here is where I mention that the chicken was too delicious and we were really hungry that I forgot to take pictures of the end result… yeah it happens. Anyway, go ahead try out this recipe I guarantee that you will never whine again about kienyeji chicken being tough.

Verdict:

Finger licking good. I have cooked this many times over and I’m not about to stop. I think I’ll cook this for dinner tonight.

Thanks for stopping by and I apologise for the hiatus, being a wife, employee and study can sometimes take a toll on someone.

Cheers!!

NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues.

This is my take on an elevated hot dog.

Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya

Then some arugula.

The mustard is totally optional.

What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues. This is my take on an elevated hot dog. Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya I also cooked some onions, they weren't fully caramelised as I didn't want to spend so much time in the kitchen. For avocado, I smashed it with the back of a spoon. I didn't add any salt as the cheese krainer is sufficient. Then some arugula. The mustard is totally optional. Since the krainer is cheesy, when you bit into it you get some cheesy goodness which is such a pleasant surprise. What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?