Fish Stew

I have previously been very skeptical about making stewed or curried fish but that has changed. The need to try new fish recipes other than the usual pan frying changed my perception.

Fish fillet chunks

1 tablespoon fish masala

1 tablespoon dried parsley

1/2 cup water

2 fish fillet cut into chunks

2 tablespoons of oil for frying

Salt to taste

In a saucepan fry the onions.

Add the garlic and ginger.

Once cooked through, add the tomatoes let then cooked for about 3 minutes then add the eggplant and bell pepper.

Cover and let the veggies cook down.

In the mean time mix the coconut cream with the fish masala.

Add the mixture and the dried parsley to the sauce. Pour in about 1/2 cup of water for the soup.

The sauce

Then finally add in the fish chunks. Ensure they are almost submerged in the soup.

swimming fishes..pun intended

Tip: Salt the fish chunks before adding them. This ensures that the fish is completely salted.

Cover and let it cook for about 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when pierced with a fork.

fish stew

Serve with steamed rice or ugali.

Fish stew, steamed rice and fried french beans

Verdict:

By far the best fish stew I’ve ever tasted. I evenĀ preferredĀ it to the curry. Salting the fish prior to cooking was a brilliant idea.

Let’s just say this will become a staple dish in our household.

1. Pingback: I Cooked! | Savvy Kenya In Japan