Vanilla sister to the black forest cake. The white forest cake is made of spongy vanilla cake layers with sugar syrup and decorated with whipped cream and strawberries. The result is a delicate, tender and moist cake. Absolutely delicious.
For this edition of “Baking with friends” I hosted the talented Zaituni Wambui. Zaituni is a singer/songwriter who describes her style as Urban taarab. You can listen to her single, Ananipenda, here.
White Forest Cake
- 230 grams all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 230 grams granulated sugar
- 160 grams unsalted butter / margarine
- 7 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Sugar syrup or rum or cherry liqueur
- 250 grams Whipped cream
- 250 grams Fresh strawberries washed and sliced thinly reserve 4 -5 whole for topping
- 200 grams white chocolate compound
- Pre heat oven at 180 degrees C
- In a bowl, mix all purpose flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, cream unsalted butter/ margarine and sugar until pale in colour, About 3-5 minutes. If using a wooden spoon this will take a little longer.
- Add eggs one at a time and add vanilla essence.
- Add flour mixture and mix for 3 minutes until smooth.
- Divide the batter equally between three 8″ round tins.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 28 -30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cakes completely before frosting.
- To frost, remove cakes from the tins and remove the parchment paper.
- On a cake board or wide plate add a small dollop of fresh cream and place the first layer of cake.
- Using a spoon or pastry brush feed the syrup or rum if using throughout the top surface of the cake layer.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream and spread with an offset spatula to form an even layer.
- Place strawberry slices in one single layer then repeat the procedure with the second layer.
- Once the third layer is placed, feed with syrup and now coat the whole cake with the whipped cream.
- Using a scraper and offset spatula, cover the surface of the cake until desired results are achieved.
- Using a grater or potato peeler, shaved the chocolate to get small shavings.
- Cover the cake with the chocolate shavings.
- Top with half sliced strawberries.
- White forest is best served chilled.