There’s something about a rich and fudgy chocolate and this one is just delightful. Decorated with a rich dark chocolate ganache and topped with toasted almond flakes, you’ll definitely want to try this recipe.
This cake month, I’m ‘Baking with friends’ and my first guest is Kodo. He is the creative behind Sanaa kwa Sana, where they highlight, document and critique Kenyan arts and music. We discussed a bit of his about his work as I showed him how to bake this cake. It was his first time baking.
I have also partnered with EAGM for cake and I have a baking basics bundle that is on offer through my online store Kitchen n’ More.
Granted this cake is rich in terms of taste and ingredients used but it’s perfect for special occasions or when you simply want to treat yourself.
The combination of the almond flour and maziwa mala in the recipe adds to the fudginess of this cake. You’ll also see that I added a teaspoon of instant coffee as it intensifies the chocolate flavour.
The toasted almonds add another texture profile making the experience of eating the cake so delightful.
Chocolate Almond Cake
- 200 grams all purpose flour
- 100 grams almond meal/ flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 tsp instant coffee optional
- 3/4 cup maziwa mala
- 340 grams white granulated sugar
- 170 grams unsalted butter/ margarine
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
For the frosting
- 250 grams dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 250 ml heavy cream / non dairy whipping cream
- 100 grams almond flakes
- Pre heat oven at 180 degrees C.
- In a large bowl combine all purpose flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a measuring jug add boiling hot water and instant coffee is using, add cocoa powder and stir. Add maziwa mala to the mixture and set aside.
- Using a stand or electric mixer or whisk, cream sugar and butter or margarine for 3 minutes or until pale in colour and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time and add vanilla essence.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the cocoa powder mixture. Start with a third of the flour mixture, half of the cocoa mixture, the second third, the last of the cocoa mixture then the last third of the flour mixture. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared tins.If using a 10 inch tin, bake at 180degrees C for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the centre comes out clean.If you using 8 inch tins, divide the batter between two tins and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Once baked, cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tins to allow the cake to cool off completely.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- In a heatproof bowl, add chocolate pieces.
- In a sauce pan bring the heavy cream to a gentle boil.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate pieces. Let it stand for 30 seconds before stirring the mixture. Cool the mixture slightly before putting it in the fridge to set and chill.
- In a large pan, toast almond flakes over medium low heat until lightly browned and toasty.
- Once cake is completely cooled, add dollops of set dark chocolate ganache and using an offset spatula spread it out to spread the cake surface. Cover the sides of the cake.
- Make decorative spiral patterns on the cake before topping with the toasted almond flakes