Savoury Oats Two Ways

I love oats and to imagine prior to 2020 I wasn’t eating oats. I would enjoy them in muesli, granola and oatmeal cookies but never on their own. Hilarious! These days oats are a pantry staple in my home. They are the perfect base for just about anything whether you choose to enjoy them sweet or savoury. This time I decided to make them savoury and boy weren’t they delicious. The oats are pretty easy to prepare and one only needs a few ingredients.

For the toppings, one way will be vegetarian.

Baby spinach
Sliced button mushrooms

And the other, non vegetarian.

Chives, egg, bacon

Whenever I’m cooking oats, I like to toast them for a few minutes. This gives them a toasty aroma and nutty taste.

In a pan with butter, toast the oats. Keep stirring to avoid burning.

To add more flavour to the oatmeal, I used chicken stock. I dissolved a chicken stock cube in hot water for this. You can use vegetable stock or water if that’s all you have. If using plain water, remember to season the oats with salt.

Boiling

As the oatmeal cooks, prepare the toppings.

Starting with the vegetarian ones. Sauté mushrooms until golden brown and season with salt and pepper.

The spinach will cook in no time, add a little oil and wilt them down. Finish off with salt and pepper.

For the non vegetarian portion, start with the eggs then finish off with the bacon.

Serve the savoury oats in a bowl and add the toppings.

Mushroom and Spinach Savoury Oats
Bacon and Egg Savoury Oats

Delicious and filling. It’s awesome how one batch of savoury oats gives a different experience depending on the toppings used.

Which one are you eating?

Savoury Oats Two Ways

Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time27 mins
Course: Breakfast

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup jumbo oat flakes / rolled oats
  • 1 3/4 cups chicken stock / vegetable stock / water
  • Salt and black pepper to taste

For the toppings

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 100 grams button mushrooms washed , dried and sliced thinly
  • 50 grams baby spinach washed and dried
  • 100 grams bacon
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 tablespoon chopped chives
  • Salt and pepper to taste

• In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt unsalted butter and add the oats.
  • Stir for 2-4 minutes allowing the oats to toast. They will brown a little bit and smell toasty.
  • Add stock or water and stir continuously until the oatmeal comes to a boil.
  • Reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
  • Once done taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Set aside.
  • In a pan add olive oil and sauté the mushrooms until golden brown.
  • Ensure the mushrooms are in one layer and stir occasionally to cook. Once done season with salt and pepper and set aside.
  • In the same pan add a tablespoon of oil and add baby spinach. Cook for 2 -3 minutes until the spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper and and set aside.
  • Cook bacon until done and set aside.
  • Fry the eggs one by one to your liking. Season with salt and pepper.
  • To assemble, in one bowl of savoury oats top with sauteed mushroom and spinach.
  • In another bowl of savoury oats top with bacon and a fried egg and sprinkle over some chives.

Video

Notes

Instead of a fried egg you can opt to boil the eggs and top with a soft boiled egg.