Cheesy Arugula Rolex

Rolex is a popular food in Uganda. It’s basically an omelette and veggies wrapped with a chapati. From my little research the name rolex is a play on rolled eggs.

Albeit knowing about rolex, this was my first time making and eating it. I absolutely loved the outcome. Typically cabbage is used but I didn’t have any on hand so I used arugula. I also added cheese to the mix. I particularly loved the combination of the two with everything else.

This cheesy arugula omelette is the perfect fix for just about any meal and is very easy to whip up.

A key ingredient is chapati. I used leftover chapati. Be sure to warm it up.

In case you struggle making chapatis, I have the perfect tutorial that yields soft and layered chapatis every single time.

For the omelette, I used eggs, arugula, onions, some grated gouda cheese, salt and pepper.

To add more heat when assembling the rolex, I used tamarind chilli sauce from Umai organic. I love their condiments.

Once rolled up, slice in half on the diagonal and enjoy.

The beauty of the rolex is that you can play around with what you have on hand. Baby spinach can be used, even cooked greens like managu or sukuma wiki.

If using cheese, cheddar is also a good option, even crumbled up feta cheese.

Essentially, feel free to experiment.

I sure hope you’ll give this recipe a try. I’m already looking forward to the day I’m making chapati for dinner so that I can enjoy rolex the morning after.

Cheesy Arugula Rolex

Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Course: Breakfast
Cuisine: Ugandan

Ingredients

• Chapati
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1/2 small red onion chopped
  • 1/2 cup grated cheese cheddar/gouda
  • Arugula
  • 1 medium tomato thick slices
  • Chilli sauce optional
  • Salt and pepper to taste

• Warm up chapati, if using leftover chapati.
  • In a bowl mix eggs, a tablespoon of red onion, a little bit of grated cheese, salt and pepper.
  • Roughly cut about 3 arugula leaves and add to the egg mixture.
  • Over medium heat, add a tablespoon of oil and cook the omelette.
  • Flip to cook the other side, sprinkle over some of the grated cheese then cover with chapati.
  • Once cooked remove from the heat.
  • With the omelette side up, arrange some tomato slices, arugula and onion at the centre. Season with salt and black pepper and drizzle over some chilli sauce.
  • Roll up the chapati and omelette tightly.
  • Slice diagonally at the centre.

Video