Easy Homemade Pasta

Happy New Year!

Hope your 2020 is off to a great start.

How about this year we learn how to make fresh homemade pasta from scratch?

It’s so easy, it’s unbelievable and on top of you that you just need two ingredients. Yep, two. And you already have them in your pantry.

Eggs and flour.

Did I mention that no bowls are needed in this recipe? Just a squeaky clean work surface and you are good to go.

Start by making a well in the flour.

Then put the eggs in the well.

Since my eggs weren’t as big, I used 5.

Use a fork to lightly beat the eggs as you gradually incorporate the flour.

If you want to salt your dough this is the perfect time to do it. It’s totally optional though.

Keep using the fork to add in the flour.

Once the eggs are fully incorporated and your dough is coming together, go in with your hands and knead the dough.

Just as any dough, knead it for about 5-7 minutes until it’s no longer sticky.

Cover the dough with cling film or a damp cloth and let it rest for at least 15 minutes.

At this point you can choose to freeze the dough for later use.

Fresh pasta dough can last 2-3 months when frozen.

Now the fun part, rolling out the dough.

Divide the dough into four parts.

Take one quarter and roll it out.

Roll it out as thin as you can. If you think it’s thin enough, roll it out again.

This thin.

Then now to cut into different sizes.

The first is tagliatelle. About 1cm thick.

Flour both sides of the rolled out dough, then fold and cut vertically widths of about one centimetre.

Then pappardelle which is about an inch thick.

Again, flour the rolled out dough, fold and cut into inch thick slices.

Unravel the folds immediately. Sprinkle over flour to prevent the pasta from sticking.

Then finally farfalle or bowtie pasta. As the name suggests it’s in the shape of a bowtie.

Cut into rectangles then pinch at the centre to make the bowtie.

And there you have it.

Simple and fresh pasta from scratch.

If you want it brown use two cups atta flour and one cup all purpose flour.

The other benefit of fresh pasta is that it cooks so fast.

In salty boiling water add the pasta. Once the pasta starts to float it’s done. Takes about 3 – 5 minutes.

Drain the water and served as desired.

Delicious and the bite is glorious.

So far, this is how I’ve enjoyed the fresh pasta.

Video

Easy Homemade Pasta

• 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 5 medium sized eggs
  • Extra flour for dusting

On a clean work face, put the flour and make a well at the centre.

Break the eggs one by one and place then inside the well.

Using a fork lightly beat the eggs as you gradually incorporate the flour.

Keep incorporating the flour until a dough forms.

Switch to your hands and knead for 5-7 minutes until the dough is no longer sticky.

The dough will be a little on the stiff side but it's ok.

Let the dough rest for 15 minutes before working with it.

At this point you can choose to freeze the dough for later use. it can keep for 2-3 months.

To make the different pasta shapes, first divide the dough into quarters.

Take one quarter and cover the rest.

Roll out the dough as thin as you can.

Ensure the surface is well floured to keep the dough from sticking.

Fold the rolled out dough and cut into desired sizes.

1 cm thick for tagliatelle

1 inch thick for pappardelle

Bowties for farfalle

To cook the pasta

In salty boiling water, add the pasta and cook until the pasta floats to the top.

It will take 3-5 minutes

Drain and serve as desired

This pasta dough also makes for wonderful lasagna sheets

For wholemeal pasta wotk with 2 cups atta flour and 1 cup all purpose flour. You can a little salt to the eggs before beating.

NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues.

This is my take on an elevated hot dog.

Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya

Then some arugula.

The mustard is totally optional.

What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues. This is my take on an elevated hot dog. Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya I also cooked some onions, they weren't fully caramelised as I didn't want to spend so much time in the kitchen. For avocado, I smashed it with the back of a spoon. I didn't add any salt as the cheese krainer is sufficient. Then some arugula. The mustard is totally optional. Since the krainer is cheesy, when you bit into it you get some cheesy goodness which is such a pleasant surprise. What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?

One Comment

1. Pingback: Cashewnut and Basil Pasta Pesto - Leo Tunapika?