Roasted Butternut Soup

As I was doing some grocery shopping, I saw some butternuts that were simply calling out my name. Obviously I had to buy one. I figured I could share a different way of making butternut soup.

The beauty of this method is that you don’t have to struggle to peel the butternut which we all know can be a pain. Once the butternut squash is halved you are as good as ready.

roasted butternutUsing a very sharp knife and being extra cautious, half the butternut squash and then using a spoon scoop out the seeds which you can either discard or roast them separately to eat as a snack. Half a medium onion, no need to peel it.

roasted butternut2

The essence of this recipe is to roast everything together and later blend it to make a creamy soup. Ensure the vegetables are thoroughly washed since they’ll bake with their skin on. For the potatoes, using a fork, poke holes on them.

Brush all the vegetables with some oil then season with salt and black pepper.

roasted butternut3

Grease your oven tray and lay out the vegetables.

roasted butternut4

In a pre heated oven, bake the vegetables at 400°F or 200°C for 45 minutes. I would advise you to remove the garlic halfway through that time lest they burn like mine did 🙁 Also if using a thinner carrot, remove it also.

After 45 minutes, you get these roasted vegetables.

roasted butternut5

Sadly my garlic burnt so I ended up throwing it out 🙁 As for the charred marks on the butternut, not to worry they were only superficial and I scrapped them off. Evidently the middle part of the tray was hotter than the sides.

Once out of the oven, let the roasted vegetables rest for 10 to 15 minutes since you’ll need to scoop out the butternut, it’s safe to ensure it is reasonably cool.

Once cooled, scoop out the butternut putting the roasted butternut in a blender, peel the potatoes and add them in. For the carrot, you can slice into chunks and add in the blender. Peel the onions and the garlic hoping yours didn’t burn and add them in.

roasted butternut6

Finally add in your liquid, you can use stock either vegetable, chicken or beef or better yet add some coconut milk.

I added coconut milk. Blend away until smooth and creamy.

Once blended, pour out the soup in a pot and warm it up. At this point it is best to taste your soup for seasoning and adjust accordingly. In case you prefer a lighter soup you can add more coconut milk.

roasted butternut7

Serve and enjoy.

roasted butternut8

Not only was the soup creamy and the sweet taste of the butternut pronounced, the coconut milk added a lovely surprise.

Why not try this different way of making butternut soup, I promise you’ll enjoy it.

Roasted Butternut Soup

• 1 butternut squash halved and seeds removed
  • 2 medium sized potatoes
  • 1 medium sized carrot
  • 1 medium sized red onion halved
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Oil, preferably olive oil

Pre heat your oven.

Line a baking tray with some aluminium foil and lightly grease the foil.

Using a fork, pierce the potatoes.

Brush the vegetables with oil and season with salt and black pepper.

Lay out the vegetables on the prepared tray.

Lay the butternut cut sides down.

Bake at 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C for 45 minutes.

For the garlic remove them halfway through the baking time.

Once baked, remove and let them cool for 10 to 15 minutes.

Once cooled, scoop out the butternut leaving the skin and put the butternut in a blender.

Peel the baked potatoes and add them in the blender.

Peel the onion and the garlic and toss them in.

Slice up the carrot and add it in.

Finally add the coconut milk.

Blend until smooth and creamy.

Transfer the soup into a pot and heat it up.

Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.

In case you prefer a lighter soup, you can add some more coconut milk.

Serve and enjoy.

1. Pingback: Valentine Dinners! | Leo Tunapika?