Brawn and Onion Sandwich

I have had some beef brawn in the freezer for quite a while and to be honest I’d gotten tired of the usual brawn sandwich. A few Fridays ago, I woke up pretty psyched to make breakfast and all I had was some bread, honey, the brawn and onions. After posting the end result on Facebook and Instagram I received several requests on how I made it. A lady even chatted me up on whatsapp regarding the recipe 🙂 . Naturally I had to make the sandwich again.

The sandwich is pretty easy to make and doesn’t take much time. Normally the beef brawn comes ready to eat, it’s just that I decided on heating it up a little bit. For this recipe I highly recommend you use sweet bread in order to get the perfect contrasts of both sweet and savoury.

Ingredients:

4 slices of bread – I used brown bread

4 slices beef brawn cut into bite size pieces

1 medium sized onion cut into half moon slices

Honey

Cheese – I used cheddar

Oil for frying

Serves 2

In a pan heat about half a tablespoon of vegetable oil and then add in the onions.

DSCN7125

The onions should cook down until translucent.

DSCN7131

Now add in the brawn. You just want it to get some heat.

DSCN7132

In the meantime spread some honey on two slices of the bread.

DSCN7137

Remove the brawn and onion from the heat.

Now to assemble the sandwich.

On each honey spread slice pile on the brawn and onion mixture.

DSCN7141

DSCN7143

Now grate over the cheese.

DSCN7145

Cover with the other slice of bread, cut the sandwich diagonally, serve and enjoy.

DSCN7149

The combination of sweet and savoury was perfect, the taste was slightly different from the first time since I used brown bread.

Kudos to whoever said we should take breakfast as Kings.

DSCN7155

NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues.

This is my take on an elevated hot dog.

Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya

Then some arugula.

The mustard is totally optional.

What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?
When you have all the ingredients on hand, magic ensues. This is my take on an elevated hot dog. Used cheese krainers from @taliofoodco , brown samoons from @carrefourkenya I also cooked some onions, they weren't fully caramelised as I didn't want to spend so much time in the kitchen. For avocado, I smashed it with the back of a spoon. I didn't add any salt as the cheese krainer is sufficient. Then some arugula. The mustard is totally optional. Since the krainer is cheesy, when you bit into it you get some cheesy goodness which is such a pleasant surprise. What are you adding in your elevated hot dog?