Creamed Spinach

The other day I attended an ‘itara’ – it is one of those celebrations that lead up to a wedding, where the bride’s family go to see where the bride will be married i.e the groom’s parents’ home. The catering was so on point and for the first time ever I got to taste real creamed spinach. Creamed spinach is a dish many hotel claim to serve but I can guarantee you, it’s just a rip off, just ordinary cooked spinach if you ask me.

Anyway, after the wonderful experience, I got inspired to find out how to make it. As usual I searched for a recipe online and was pleased to discover that one of my favourite food bloggers Ree of The Pioneer Woman has one. Ree is such a funny writer and I always enjoy reading her recipes.

This recipe may look a bit complicated but I guarantee that it’s foolproof 🙂 I sorta halved her recipe since I was just cooking for hubby and I. If you are planning to cook for more people I suggest you follow her quantities.

the cast of characters
the cast of characters

Ingredients:

For the cream sauce

Butter about 50 gms

3 tablespoons plain flour

1 small onion finely chopped

3 cloves of garlic finely minced

1 cup milk

Salt and pepper to taste

A pinch of nutmeg

For the spinach

Spinach – enough for 4 people (hard to say quantity, I bought 3 bunches for Kshs. 10 each)

2 tablespoons butter

In a sauce pan start by making the white sauce. Melt the butter, do this on low heat.

DSCN1288

Sprinkle over the plain flour and start whisking, I don’t have a whisk so I just used my handy dandy wooden spoon.

DSCN1289

Cook for five minutes, stirring frequently till golden brown.

Add the onions and garlic.

DSCN1291Stir together and cook for another minute.

DSCN1292Finally add the milk whilst whisking.

DSCN1294

Cook the sauce for about five minutes, stirring occasionally. It will start to thicken

DSCN1295

Now, saute the spinach. Here I got hubby to assist with both the sauteeing and the photography 🙂

In another sufuria, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter. You may be required to add in the spinach in batches. Luckily my sufuria was large enough so it sufficed.

DSCN1296

Add the spinach.

DSCN1299

How deceptive the spinach is, it fills up the sufuria only to wilt and reduce in after a few minutes of cooking. Ensure not to overcook the spinach, it should still have a crunch to it.

After
After

Back to the sauce, at this point, I got a bit worried cause mine had really thicken, nothing like Ree’s , don’t fret though. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and add the pinch of nutmeg.

things are THICK
things are THICK

Now spoon over the sauteed spinach stirring it in gently.

DSCN1305

The thickness of my sauce didn’t mess up the outcome. Such a relief.

DSCN1307

In case you find it a bit too creamy for your liking add more sauteed spinach.

Serve immediately.

DSCN1311Wow!!! Someone say AMAZING!!!

I dare you, try this creamed spinach recipe and for sure you won’t regret it.

Thanks Ree.

1 day ago

NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER

1. Pingback: Spice Haul : Zanzibar Edition – Leo Tunapika?