Did you know that you can use grated zucchini in cake? Oh yes, you can. Zucchini or courgette is a great addition to cake batter as it adds moisture to the cake. Essentially one doesn’t really taste the zucchini.
This loaf is very easy to make and yields a mildly spiced moist and tender cake. It’s similar to a carrot cake, in texture and taste. For this zucchini loaf I use oil instead of margarine or butter in the batter as oil yields a moister cake. I also opted to use brown sugar instead of granulated white sugar. The molasses in the brown sugar give the cake a darker colour and adds to the overall taste.
For this loaf, no fancy or special equipment is needed. A hand held whisk or wooden spoon will suffice. I also bake it in a 9inch loaf pan, however, a 10 inch round tin will do. The only thing that will change is the baking time which will reduce to about 45 minutes.
For zucchini, I grated using the larger side of my grater as I wanted then to stand out. Also try and squeeze out any excess liquid from the grated zucchini.
The loaf is mildly spiced and it’s the perfect with a hot cup pf tea or coffee or perhaps a cold glass of milk if you are me.
Cinnamon and Cardamom Moist Zucchini Loaf
- 250 grams all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt3/4 cup brown sugar can be substituted with granulated white sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini about 2 medium sized zucchinis
- Pre heat oven at 180 degrees Celcius.
- Prepare a 9 inch by loaf by greasing lightly with some margarine or butter and dusting with flour and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon and ground cardamom. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a whisk or wooden spoon mix brown sugar and oil for about two minutes.
- Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla essence and combine.
- Add a third of flour mixture and half the plain yoghurt. Mix and add the other third and the final half of the plain yoghurt.
- Combine and then add the last third of the flour mixture.
- Fold in the grated zucchini.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for 1 hour 5 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted at the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Lasts 1 to 2 days when stored at room temperature. For a longer shelf life, store in a covered airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.